Author Topic: I found a Trap gun finally!  (Read 902 times)

Offline Otony

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
I found a Trap gun finally!
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:01:34 AM »
Picked one up NIB from Gunbroker for $370 shipped. Not a bad price and it belonged to Suze Huntington (who never fired it apparently) and the box is so marked. BTW, Suze Huntington is the wife of Roy Huntington, editor of American Handgunner. That doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but it was sort of interesting.

I have one steel forend spacer left, and it is going on this gun. Now I have to look for a suitable trigger guard from Track of the Wolf.

Cool beans!
Otony
"Meglio vivere un giorno da leone che cento anni da pecora"

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: I found a Trap gun finally!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
You know we are going to need pics!!! I have been interested in one for about a year. Is the vent rib straight or tapered? I assume it is designed to shoot high. I have only seen one once and of course when finances were low. JamesIII

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »
there ya go pics  are great!!! i seen one a while back ,  it didnt shoulder well for me to shoot 50 or 100 trap targets

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:55:56 AM »
When ya gonna post pics Tony? We'd like to see it with or without the modifications, the H&R pics just aren't the best representation of their  stocks.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Otony

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 04:34:49 PM »
I will take pics, but it is now in the hands of the local Friends of NRA for their upcoming dinner.

It is nice in some ways, not as nice in others. First the good. Stock fit and finish is easily the best of any NEF or H&R made in the last twenty years (that I've seen, of course). Nice stick of black walnut. Not exceptional figure, just well finished with good checkering. I read who is actually turning these out for H&R somewhere, but can't recall which stock maker is responsible. Anyone looking for a nicely made stock with trap dimensions can hardly go wrong, although as most dedicated trap shooters well know, it may not fit you. The number of amazing trap guns that have modified stocks probably far outweighs the number of unaltered trap guns.

Metal finish is very nice as well. The nickle was even, no spots. The blueing is nice as well. The 30" barrel is fitted with an extended stainless steel choke (modified) that protrudes about an inch and a half from the muzzle. It is machined for Win-choke/Accu-choke threading, BTW.

Not for the not so good. First of all, it has a plastic rib, which many of you probably already knew. The rib itself is nicely made, fits quite well, and serves its purpose well. Unfortunately the second issue I noticed could have been corrected by making the rib steel. This darn gun is just too light!

It swings well enough, but had the rib been steel it would have been much smoother and the overall weight would have perhaps been sufficient to reduce fatigue. As it stands, it is simply too light for long strings on the range. It feels about like what a junior's gun might weigh, so it shouldn't be shot with over one ounce loads for long term comfort.

Finally, it is the stiffest H&R I have EVER opened! I didn't have to break it over my knee, but it was close. I know that can be corrected without a whole lot of effort, but still. For a fellow looking for an entry level trap gun my recommendation is buy a used BT-99, or look at the Tristar TR-99. This misses the mark...for me, YMMV. Occasional use, maybe OK. Long term will beat the bejabbers out of you. Kid's gun? If you correct the stiff opening and stick to light loads, yes.

My two cents.......
Otony
"Meglio vivere un giorno da leone che cento anni da pecora"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:24:15 PM »
Thanks Tony.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:06:46 AM »
All good comments for me, since I have no real experience with trap guns yet find myself thinking it might be fun. It sounds as if this gun may be just the thing for starting a junior or an adult who may shoot occassionally with friends or family with a hand trap or small auto trap thrower?
Seems like a surprisingly low price to get into such a trap gun compared to the alternatives.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974