Author Topic: Refinishing question - 1900 H&R 28 gauge  (Read 917 times)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Refinishing question - 1900 H&R 28 gauge
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:31:33 PM »
Hi All,

Finally moving on my best friend's 1900 he got from his grand dad.  I have the furniture under control now but need suggestions for the steel.  The gun currently is brown, not left out in the rain rust, but it is brown.  Anybody know what the metal finish was on this gun when it was new?  Better yet, how do I end up with the metal looking like it did 100 years ago?  I am having custom wood for made for the gun, I am going to return it to firing condition so I want the metal to be perfect also.  Would never do this to a gun for myself, but my best friend since my Navy days, he deserves it.

thanks

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Refinishing question - 1900 H&R 28 gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:35:12 PM »
Someone may have rust browned it, I've done several muzzleloaders that way, blueing is just a form of rust, only blue/black instead of brown in color.  ;)  Maybe someone in the traditional muzzleloader forum knows how to remove the finish other than sanding or sandblasting it off, naval jelly might work, I don't know.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »
BC makes a Blue & Rust Remover that may work, I've used it to remove blueing and it worked pretty good, never on browning tho.

Tim

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/blueing_index.asp?categoryID=1&subcat=5

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 04:12:53 PM »

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:42:01 PM »
Thanks Tim,

This will give me something to read the next couple of days.  I just finished cutting off 3.5" inches from the end of one of my 45 70s, so I am a tad bit distracted. 

I want to make sure the metal is right, I may pay to have it done it I don't think I can do it right.  I have an older friend who teaches folks to carve decoys and can make anything out of wood.  He took the old stock set home today to start on new furniture.  I think he said either tiger maple or burl walnut, I'm not much of a wood authority so I left it up to him.  I know the wood will be right so the metal needs to be also.

The gun's owner wants a wall hanger, but he will be getting a shooter. ;D

BB

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »
Sounds like a nice project.  ;)

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:07:35 AM »
As a suggestion, if you/he wants it to be close to original have the stock set made out of walnut not maple. All the eraly H&R's had walnut stocks, none had maple stocks. Not the way I would treat this fine old family hierloom shotgun but all the best of luck on your project....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 01:37:10 AM »
MSP,

Nothing set in stone on this one yet, I just want it to look good good and be functional, even if just for one range day, when I return it.  I will make sure the new stock set is Walnut, and I have the original wood (stock broken in half and repaired with Gorilla glue, forestock is kinda mangled), any suggestions for refinish on the old wood?.  Also any suggestions on refinish of the steel would be appreciated.  The metal has many small nicks and a couple of small spots of surface corrosion.  The metal also has splatters of interior wall paint from being left behind a couch during a painting project. The action does lock up tight, gun cocks and appears to shoot fine.  I will have to find a 28 gage hull and put a primer in it to be sure.  Also have to disassemble the receiver and clean as it is full of gunk; I am glad that Tim posted on how to do it as I never would have seen that hole to put the paper clip in until it was too late. :D

thanks for your help.

BB

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:55:26 AM »
As a DIY project I would start by using some citris based stripper on the wood then steaming (to raise dents) and sanding (very fine paper) to remove any lifted wood fibers. Since the original stock is walnut I would just refinish with Tung Oil, drying and sanding lightly between coats. Start with 5 coats and see if you like to result. I would go to a boat yard and buy, or order, some brass wool (4/0) to use on the metal work and go over it with the brass wool using some gun oil as a lubricant. If you cannot get brass wool 4/0 steel wool used judiciously would work as well. If you have big splotches of paint on the gun use the citris remover or scape most off with a fingernail or something that will not scrath the metalwork or wood that it is on and and browned finish that is there now. A friend has a pristine example of an early H&R 28 gauge and they are beautiful light field guns.
By the way, a the family of a retired Judge that lives within a hour of me (Judge Rowe) used to own H&R. If you remember, the old address of H&R in Gardner Mass. was Industrial Rowe, the family name and spelling....<><....:)   
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 10:06:36 AM »
MSP,

Friend of mine owns a business that does fiberglass and wood boat repair, I will have him get me the brass wool. 

Thanks for the help.

BB

Offline dogngun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 08:10:06 AM »
Some of the older shotguns WERE BROWNED from the factory- I have an Iver Johnson Champion from 1923 that still wears the factory brown, although getting a little thin. I went over it lightly with metal polish to remove rust and it looks a lot better than before, but still has its "old and worn" look, just shiney and no rust. FWIW, it is a great shotgun and I will use it for small game this fall.

mark

(I used Mother's mag wheel polish.)