Author Topic: Range finder question. Info wanted.  (Read 496 times)

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Range finder question. Info wanted.
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:56:19 PM »
I need to know more about rangefinders. In setting up the long range target area at a friends house, he invited a friend over with a range finder to help us stake out the "known" distances out to 294 yds. But we couldn't get readings off of anything beyond that distace, solid objects (at a right angle to the range -a cabin) It wouldn't give us a distance... it appeared to be 400-425 yds away. If I buy one for a pronghorn hunt I want it to read up to like 500 yds. I don't need it to go 1000 but want it to read past 294. So I am asking what range finder have you used to get accurate reading off deer or rock out to 500 or so yds? All $ amounts -I want to know if there is a 150.00 one or a 500.00 one, I need to know what to look for and save for. So please pm me with a detailed description of the kind you have or reply here so we can compile some data to determine what would work for what I need. I Don't plan to shoot beyond 400 yds but would like to know how much further to crawl to reach 400.... So a 500 yd range finder should do. I may be opening a can of worms but I really don't know which one to get. Thanks, Brent

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Range finder question. Info wanted.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 03:44:55 AM »
The old saying that generally "You get what you pay for" is surfacing again.  I've got a buddy that has had decent work out of a Bushnell 1500, that's about the cheapest one that I've heard of with good reliability in readings ~ $375.  Heard some decent stuff through the pipeline about the Leupolds and Nikons, if you are keeping it under 500, then they should serve you fairly well.  The Leicas, Zeiss and the Swaros are the top notch ones IMO, but you will pay dearly for those (some of the Leicas aren't too bad).

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:18:31 AM »
While researching your rangefinder do not pay attention to reflective surface distances. For your range purpose I'll bet that you could have ranged a pick-up truck parked out there, but was trying for a tree or just grass. I have also found that at extended ranges it was pretty important to hold very steady as well. Think about lighting up a tree with a flashlight vs. lighting up a reflector along the highway.

I will add this, if you are going to be in mountains I think the angle calculator is worth the added price. I made several comparitive readings with GPS and range finder, enough to know that angle can make 50 yd difference at times. Usually that is close enough for what it's for but not always.  Think about the difference between a 45/70 and a 300 mag. That 45/70 will kill about anything it hits but hitting at 250 is a whole different job with the 45/70 than it is with a 300 mag.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:33:39 AM »
You want to get one that is rated for a longer range than you think you'll need.  My 1st was a Bushnell 400 yd.  It would range to about 300, then i got a Bushnell 800.  It was good to about 6 or 700, then i got a 1000, it is good to about 8, 900.  Then the Bushnell 1500, it's good to about 1000.  Last I have a Leica 900, It's good to about 900.  As more companys make them they are getting cheaper.  You should be able to get one to meet your needs for
$200-250.  I never leave home without mine.
H08

Offline Trav

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:13:28 AM »
I mentioned to my boss one day that I wanted to get a range finder.  About a week later he handed me a Leica 1200 yd model as a Bonus (ya, I have a cool boss ;D).  I love having that extra range.  I have ranged large objects (buildings, large rocks etc) at just under 1400 yards.  Two years ago I was pronghorn hunting with my then 12 year old son.  We spotted a small group of pronghorn and decided to try a stalk.  They were out just over 800 yards.  It was really nice to sit there and make a game plan on how far we needed to get to give him a shot (i.e. if we make it to that rock, we will be out 430 yards, if we make it to that bush, we will be out 260 etc.).  He missed the shot, but got one the next day.

A friend of mine bought a much less expensive Bushnell last summer (for shooting rockchucks).  He can only range to about 400 yards (which is just fine for what he wants it to do).  We have done many comparisons between the two and always are within 1 yard up to his 400 yard limit.  The Leica is much clearer to look through, and the readout is lighted red LED, which is easier to see in lower light conditions.  

I like the extra range, the red display, the clearer view is good, but this comes at a price (unless you have a cool boss like mine).
If God did not intend for us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat???

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:50:21 AM »
I have a Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC and I think it is great, suppose to be good for a thousand yards/meters. I have used it up too 475 yards and seems to be dead on, has the angle feature plus others, even had a setting for using a bow. the price was right , i got it off eBay for $200 new. money well spent  ;D
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:45:49 AM »
most range finders tell you how far they will measure i have an old bushnell  that says 800 and it is good for 800. I was looking at them in the store the other day and was really impressed at how small the new ones are.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »
Thank you for the replies! All good info I needed. Hope I can get a job with Trav, then I will be set.  ;)
Either me or my hunting buddy are planning to get one before the trip.  Thanks again, thejanitor