Author Topic: Cannons of Rhodes  (Read 547 times)

Offline shred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cannons of Rhodes
« on: October 16, 2011, 02:12:02 PM »
We spent a little while on Rhodes (currently part of Greece, though fought over by the Knights Hospitallers, Ottomans, Byzantines, Italians and a number of others over the years) a few weeks ago and ran across a few cannon and things that might be interesting to people here.

First of all, the Old City is littered with stone cannon balls.  They use them for edging, traffic barricades and ornaments all over the place.  A few they even stack up officially. 

I didn't run across a mortar for them, but a nice bronze one is in the museum in Paris.

Offline shred

• Avid Poster
Re: Cannons of Rhodes
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 02:15:48 PM »
In the main Old City there's an entrance called the "Cannon Gate".  There are a row of broken cannon without carriages lined up aiming at the way in.  The cannon are all broken off just in front of the trunnions and patched with cement.  Some of the front halves don't match the rears.  I'm no expert on these things, so any input is appreciated.

The markings are mostly roman numerals, but I did find a British looking one in the lot

Another with an odd touchhole detail

More high-res photos available at my gallery-- http://www.shred2.net/~shred/gallery/RhodesCannon

Offline shred

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »
If you like "Gunpowder Castles", Rhodes has plenty.  The Knights Hospitaller fortifications in their current incarnation are all based around cannons and mortars backed up by swords and crossbows; an interesting transition point frozen in time.

The "Tower of Italy", with 3 levels of cannon covering the moat

Further along the moat, maybe 7 or 8 levels of cannon aiming your way, interlocking fields of fire and all.  No wonder the preferred way of attacking these kinds of places was to burrow under the walls and blow them up.

Standing next to the walls makes you think you're standing next to a Man-O-War parked on land.

Offline DaveSB

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:10:32 AM »
very cool pictures

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Thank you for a very interesting post, I enjoy seeing "location" postings like this.
Adrian

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »
 :) , Great pics! Thanks for posting! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!