Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery Nostalgia, Testing The 7" Brooke Tube, a movie.  (Read 660 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
     We simply do not have the time these days to do much that is new.  But we finally found a movie that we took two and a half years ago and then lost, and we thought, since our membership on the board now includes so many new members, that we would post it now for fun.

Tracy and Mike

Click on the link below and please remember we were not trying to hit that bird at 100 yards where the milk jug blew up!

http://www.fototime.com/DDE6ADAE85335AD/convx264.mp4
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Seacoast Artillery Nostalgia, Testing The 7" Brooke Tube, a movie.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »
Awesome!!!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 01:12:29 PM »

And no need for a catcher's mitt!  ;D

I am sure that the Confederate artillerymen were relieved that they didn't have to do that with the full size version!

How far out was the target? In the one shot from behind the gun I couldn't make out any targets.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Spuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 03:50:14 PM »
M&T,
I think I downloaded this from your website over a year ago.  I have been showing it to my friends since I met both of you in Colorado 14 months ago.  I show them the videos of shooting my Parrott and then you guys shooting the milk jug.  They like the Parrott because it looks like the cannons most of them have seen  before,  even if only in pictures.  They are impressed with your video because you built the cannon and the ammo that is so accurate.  Thanks for doing what you do for us here on this board.
Regards,
Tim

Offline lance

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:56:12 PM »
Hey, i can now say i watched a Seacoast Artillery movie.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 04:08:30 PM »
Mike and Tracy,  It is as impressive today as it was a year ago! Thanks for posting it again.   Hitting the water jug is like the 55 gallon water filled drums hit by the full scale cannons only on a smaller scale.  Dom

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:47:47 AM »
     Thanks, fellas.  It's one of our favorites.  To answer two email questions we have this info:  First, the dark colored chunks that fly upward from under the milk jug that exploded when hit squarely at 100 yards, are 6 or 7 dried cow pies we used to get the water-filled jug above most of the prairie grass so we could see it.  Second, we tested the gun previous to those movie shots and got the following recoil distances based on shooting a 9 oz., 12L14, solid steel, bolt with expanding skirt with 300 grains to 518 grs.  With the gun on a longer chassis, we got about 1.5 feet with 300 and almost 5 feet with 518 grains, the scale equivalent to 16 lbs in a full sized Treble Banded Brooke.  We needed to 'catch' the recoiling gun during our movie testing because a shorter chassis/rail assy. was used.  We have tamed the recoil on our customer guns, using a completely invisible, proprietary mechanism, while still using full scale powder charges so no 'catching' is now required even with a scale 20 Lb. powder charge of 648 grs.  Allen, we only had one target out there that day at 100 yards.  You can't see it in the 3rd segment, behind the gun, because the camera's focus was on Mike and the Brooke.

We are finishing those Brooke rifles for delivery in July and August now, so there will be very little else coming from us unless I can get Mike to go to a 12 hour per day schedule, but he is getting really cranky on a 10 hour schedule, so I doubt he will go for more hours!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:28:19 AM »
T&M,
That poor bird was probably so psychologically traumatized that its fear of water prevented it from ever taking another bath. :D
That's one of my favorite forum vids.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.