Author Topic: the AK-47  (Read 546 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
the AK-47
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:29:06 AM »
what do you think about the AK-47 as a home or bug out gun? I was on zombiehunters.org and some one ask what would be a low cost home rifle and i said get a ak. The other member called the ak "a step up from throwing rocks" and "a rock, a giraffe and 3 ft of rubber hose, would be beter".  I don't own i AK but i have used a few, 2 rented(ak-74u was a KRINKOV) and the Vector Arms AK-47, and the rest were pimped or mod. AKs that a other shooters let me used.   

I found the AK to be everything i have hear about. Does it job and puts rounds were you want it( out of 60 rounds i got 30 in the body area, 20 to the head and the rest were misses or non-kills at 50 yards).
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
Re: the AK-47
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 09:53:32 AM »
An AK's first goal is to go bang every time someone pulls the trigger.  For the most part they do that exceptionally well.  The drawback to that reliablility is it's accuracy or lack thereof.  I bought one many years ago.  Played around with it and it was a fun gun to shoot, but the accuracy wasn't what I consider to be good out of a rifle after 200 yards.  The round is powerful enough, but not overly much like a 30-30.  Many people will think that short range firearms are fine and to an extent they are.  However, I'd rather have more accuracy than anything else.  I just think that if you're going to buy a rifle it should be able to reach out to at least 500 yards accurately and the standard AK does not fit that bill. 

You're never going to get everyone to agree, so the best bet is to see what actually works for you and build your own experience and confidence in any gun.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »
While the AK is not everything I want it to be.
I have a freind that says Good,  Cheap, or Fast?  Pick two, when ordering leather from him.
If you want it cheap and fast - not going to be real good, cheap and good not going to be real fast.
With any of the military semi Auto rifles something similar is going to take place.
Cheap, reliable, accurate.  the AK is cheap (inexpensive due to slop in the action) it is reliable (due to the same slop in the action) but is not exactly accurate (due to the slop in the action).  The tighter the tolerances the more machine time the higher the cost.
Please do not take Cheap as poorly made- i mean afordable.  What I paid for my AR was the same budget that got me the AK, 4 30 round sticks, a 40 round, and a 75 drum, and a couple cases of ammo (1997). 
I have one and it fills the bill as a go fast rifle.  There is nothing wrong with one, other people here may be willing to go for accuracy over cost in a rifle.
Some one is going to pull out the old chestnut my Townsend Whelan with "only accurate rifles are interesting"  I will simply say that the AK is not match grade acurate but is still interesting.  With the current trend of rifles to meld the AK gas system to the AR to reduce price, increase accuracy, and keep the action cleaner.

Offline fl.hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:15:59 PM »
The beauty of the ak is in its simplicity it just always works rain ,snow,heat ,dust ,mud  . no
its not a sniper rifle ,it was never meant to be , it was designed to be simple and reliable ,no frills
battle rifle that anybody can use and maintain . To that end I would say that the ak is a beautiful thing
perfect for its intended use .
"Beware the man that owns only one rifle ,he probably knows how to use it ."

Offline Default_Required

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »
I guess I should be one happy dog due to my MAK90 "Rock Slinger" doing so right by me over all these years, I personally find my ( aimed fire ) 4-5" at 200 yards exceptable for most anything I could ask of her.. And Should that not be adequate then my 223 bolt action shooting .2-.3s @ 100 or 308. puting 3 in .4-.7s @ 100 would more then suffice. If you walk to the line with the mind set to blast as fast as you can @ 50 yards with any weapon dont be suprised the results are less then amazing. But also You may start the learning the importance of controled fire  ;)

Now if you want to buy a rifle from a KNOWN shady maker of military style rifles that are commonly KNOWN "Hit Or Miss" producers , then you get what you pay for. I took the chance on CAI a couple times and must just be Irish lucky or maybe I am just more thorough with my cleaning kit and inspection process before I purchase a firearm , Not to say I havent gotten lemons . Its bound to get us all from time to time.

On another note , the only one of CAI rifles I bought sight unseen was a AK 74 WASR 2 and it was not far off par with a number of ARs I had fired before , Needless to say I was impressed. And this was with the Bulk Romanian mil-surp 53 gr 1080 rnd tuna cans.

And I know it should go without saying but try more then one available steel cased source of ammo , my groups grow and shrink depending on ammo source. Dont know if this a answer or a rant but take it as you will.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 07:13:30 AM »
for me i always going to be a AK man. It was the first 30 round gun i learned how to use and i find it for me easy to use. With AR/M16 i always forget to hit the bolt release and the AK has that mutt dog feeling to it. Like it not the best looking or has some of the other things but it there and you give it love and it will give it back.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends