Author Topic: Winchester Supreme .223  (Read 453 times)

Offline Nightsniper

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchester Supreme .223
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:03 PM »
Hello All!
Im new realy to CF and I had bought when I had a Rem. 700 5 boxs of Winchester Supreme .223 40Gn.Silver tip ammo.  Now I have had people tell me if the bullet is black then it is Molly coated, then others say no they are Lubilox Lubricated.   I think I spelled that right.   I have read that if you shoot Molly coated then you cant shoot anything else till you clean it,and they said its hard to get clean.   So whats the story on this??
Im ordering a Handi and dont want to screw it up.   I also have alot more ammo that is a regular copper jacket.      Thanks....Jeff    :)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Winchester Supreme .223
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 11:57:36 AM »
I'll give ya a little Handi and Winchester supreme experiance.
 I have a 7-08 Handi, set it up for my son and WT hunting, the best factory ammo groups I could get was using Winchester Supreme 140 Silver tips, and yes they are black. They use the Nosler Ballistic Silver Tip bullet. What ever Nosler uses to coat their bullet with is a patent name Lubilox. Is that Moly? Who knows? It's some special formula they have and for all practical purpose it's a moly lube derivitive or simular enough.
 When I went back to useing regular cup-n-core copper jacket bullets, like you've been told, accuracy went south! And yes, it was a booger to clean that bore till a white patch came out white. Now maybe there is some magic mix that will clean that Lubilox deposit easily, but I didn't have any. It was a couple days worth of swabbing, brushing, patching and waiting overnight for the cleaner I used to get the job done.
 Once it was clean, shooting plain jane copper bullets started working again. It didn't screw-up my barrel, it's fine, but for me I'll stay away from the coated or lubricated bullets from this point forward. If you have 5 boxes go ahead and shoot'em if ya can't trade'm, it won't cause any damage. But there will be a super cleaning job waiting to be done when their gone. :D
found elsewhere

Offline Nightsniper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 06:30:45 PM »
Just what I was afraid of.
I dont know where I would even try and sell 100 rounds of this kind.
Heres an idea, Im thinking about Reloading down the road.  So why not take a Bullet puller and save the primed brass for reloading later with copper?               Thanks Jeff    8)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:31:12 PM »
You could do that, seem's a bit costly when you look at the bottom line.
Ain't nuthin wrong with cleanin either ;D

You can sell here;
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,236.0.html

Just be sure to read the stickies on top of the page about shipping, it's gotta go UPS and have a speacial label
found elsewhere

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 03:50:13 PM »
These are Combined Tech. Bullets and are very very good bullets. They shoot best out of a nice clean bore, but if you shoot them for groups or are sighted in with them, stick with them exclusively. Don't try to switch back and forth between copper jackets and expect the same result... if they shoot well for you out of a clean bore (which they should) then get more and reload them. They are good bullets.

-Aaron