Author Topic: CVA Apex Report  (Read 909 times)

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
CVA Apex Report
« on: May 02, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »
And i wasnt behind the trigger! This is my Dads rifle. I mounted the barrel some days ago and we took it out to first 25 and then 50 yards before the snow drove us in for a few hours. Clouds broke up and turned hot outside so i loaded up the truck and we drove out back to the 75-100 yard range. Weather was perfect for the first 30 minutes and then the storm blew back to us and got COLD, hands felt like ice after a while.

CVA Apex .50cal - 295gr powerbelt - 90gr Volume Blackhorn209 - CCI 209M primers. I dont think we'll mess with that load. 75 yards

After those 3 shots my brother was shooting the Optima for a good 10 minutes after checking the target out.

I THOUGHT i had adjusted the sights and when my dad fired the Apex again............ I must not have adjusted them LOL.

Adjusted the sights up and to the right

Last 2 shots touching.

Earlier i took a shot with it before it was fully sighted in. Whoops! Hey at least i know birchwood casey uses tough steel for the target frames! Good thing it wasnt a Thor. LOL

Offline randy_68

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Re: CVA Apex Report
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:42:49 AM »
It's lookin good.
    My Apex likes T/C shockwaves 250 gr with 2 pellets of Triple 7. My groups are like that at 100. It took me a while to dial it in as I started out with Triple 7 Magnum(red box) pellets and I couldn't get a group smaller than 5" with any bullet I tried. Switched to reg Triple 7(black box) pellets and it tightened right up.
     Also just got my .243 barrel sighted in with Hornady 58 gr v-maxes but they may be a bit too hot. Groups avg around 1-1/2"-2" at 100 yrds. The Rem core lok 100 shot a 2" group at 200 yrds but i never got to try them at 100. It's hard to find anything other than 100 grainers locally.. I had them order the v-maxes to try out. I will try something in the 75-85 gr range next or buy dies and start handloading for it.
I really like my Apex though. It is a sweet rifle, very comfortable to shoot, great trigger, great looks etc etc.
NRA Life Member since 1976