Author Topic: What are the benefits of a 22 Mag over a 22 LR?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
What are the benefits of a 22 Mag over a 22 LR?
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:55:37 PM »

Higher velocity/energy is obvious, but what would that incremental amount get you?  I could use it for coyotes but it sounds like you can’t shoot a coyote with a 22 mag any farther than you could with a shotgun.

Higher accuracy at a longer range before going trans-sonic is a reason.
Cost of ammo may offset that value.

I have a 10/22 and CZ452 so my 22 LR jones is met. The reason I am asking is that I am considering a Henry pump (sentimental reasons). I might go with the mag if I understood why I couldn’t live without it.

What am I missing?
What do you use your 22 mag for?
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline SteveHawaii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Having fun at the Koko Head Shooting Complex
Re: What are the benefits of a 22 Mag over a 22 LR?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »
They work the action real well in my Sig 220 with the .22 conversion.
We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline Lurker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »
You said your 22 LR jones is met... I am unfamiliar with the 22 LR jones expression, would you tell me what it means please?

I guess I must be getting archaic at my dottage, I just don't understand the attraction to "Lou Imperato's" inexpensive Henry rifles...! This isn't an attack on you, or your firearms interests. However, you couldn't run fast enough to give me a Henry rifle.

I have a Winchester model 61, a pump action rifle, in 22 Magnum. It does well on Coyotes from 75 to 100 yards, if I do my part and place the bullet properly.

Bill

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 08:17:16 PM »
I own two - 22 mags.
And 9 22 LR rifles and 6 (pick up a M17 tomorrow) handguns. 
One is an H&R ultra Varmint with a 6X38 scope
Has worked great on rabbits, ground squirrels, and jack rabbits.
My other gun is a marlin 882 bolt action that has taken small game, medium game, and a whole lot of targets.
When at the range we will use raw potatoes and shoot them with almost everything.
 the added power of the 22 Mag turns the potatoe into a white ball about 3.5' in diameter and good hits with a 22lr about 2'.
For a gallery gun I would get a 22LR.
Shoot CB's and Super colibri rounds in it for back yard snickers and pest control.  Pellet gun traps stop my 22 CBs.  lots of fun.
If you want 22 mag power you can get it with other rounds.  Some are  hyper velocity 22lr.
I would spend less on a Marlin bolt action like a M25 stick a good clear 4X, 6X, or 3-9X38 weaver on it and have a super varmint rifle.
Or look at one of the 17's.  I did and bought a Marlin 917 stuck a 3-9 X 38 weaver on it and it shoots like it is radar , laser , super man giuded.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 08:23:33 PM »
In my experience, the 22 mag isn't a plinking or target round, its a game round.  Out of a rifle length barrel, it hits game noticeably harder then the 22 lr.  More then you need for rabbit and squirrel, it works on coyote past shotgun range, out to 50 - 75 yards or so.  It is excellent on turkey in states that allow rifle, like PA where I live.  Aim for the base of the wing on broadside shots.  With modern plastic tipped ammo, it can reach out at least another 50 yards or more for varmint hunting over what the LR will effectively do.  The added punch is nice for bigger vermin like woodchuck.  A nice balance between the LR and bigger, louder, more expensive centerfires.  Besides, how much do you need to justify a new gun?....:)

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline PowPow

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:21:45 AM »
You said your 22 LR jones is met... I am unfamiliar with the 22 LR jones expression, would you tell me what it means please?...I just don't understand the attraction to "Lou Imperato's" inexpensive Henry rifles...!
A jones is a "desire for, or love of", as in "I got a basketball jones", from the 1974 song "Basketball Jones" by Cheech and Chong.

The attraction to the Henry pump for me is that its the closest thing to the Winchester 22 pump that my grandfather had. He left it to my dad. My dad told me he would leave it to me, but the POS that broke into his house changed that plan. I am buying a memory; any utility  I can get beyond that is a bonus.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 04:29:03 AM »
[I have a 10/22 and CZ452 so my 22 LR jones is met. The reason I am asking is that I am considering a Henry pump (sentimental reasons). I might go with the mag if I understood why I couldn’t live without it]

And now, you're "jonesing" for a .22 Mag.    ;D  - I can't say as I blame you, since I currently have 5 different ones.

As posted, they're game guns - and when properly loaded with the appropriate bullet type(s), will handle all sorts of game (edible or not) at effective ranges far beyond the capabilities of the .22LR.

BTW - Although I own 2 excellent Henry leverguns (besides my Winchester & Marlin RF leverguns), I would advise staying away from any Henry pump chambered in .22 Mag.
There were so many warranty probs with them, that Henry has discontinued that chambering in the pump gun.
BUT, since I'm sure there are used & NOS/NIB specimens still out there - caveat emptor.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 05:09:24 AM »
  I love the 22WMR cartridge, but i wouldn't give you 2 cents for the pump Henry chambered in mag...  I bought one, and it's a POOR design, Anthony took it back, and talked me into one of their levers.  The lever is a very nice rifle, and so far i'm happy with it.

The 22 mag. has a LOT more punch on bigger animals than a 22LR, and i really like the way the mag. drops them in their tracks.

DM

Offline PowPow

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 09:54:48 AM »
Two votes against the Henry 22 Mag pump. Won't wait on another one.

Sounds like the 22 Mag won't do it for coyotes out to 100, but is good for woodchucks.
I'm in Alabama and would not know the difference between a woodchuck and a chucknorris.
We don't have much in between rabbits and coyotes.
Foxes and bobcats are incidental to deer hunting.
The 22 Mag sounds like a great round; just not enough application here.

Mcwoodduck pegged it for me with the gallery gun idea.
The Henry will shoot 22 short and LR.
I can get 20 yard shots in my house, if I move the wife's car outside.

Unless I read a bad review of the Henry 22 LR pump, I think I will probably get one.
If I move to woodchuck land, I will definitely need to buy another gun.
Thanks for the input.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 10:53:38 AM »
In my experience, the 22 mag isn't a plinking or target round, its a game round.  Out of a rifle length barrel, it hits game noticeably harder then the 22 lr.  More then you need for rabbit and squirrel, it works on coyote past shotgun range, out to 50 - 75 yards or so.  It is excellent on turkey in states that allow rifle, like PA where I live.  Aim for the base of the wing on broadside shots.  With modern plastic tipped ammo, it can reach out at least another 50 yards or more for varmint hunting over what the LR will effectively do.  The added punch is nice for bigger vermin like woodchuck.  A nice balance between the LR and bigger, louder, more expensive centerfires.  Besides, how much do you need to justify a new gun?....:)

Larry

all that is good and in a handgun it does better also . But the biggest difference is you get a jacketed bullet , not a copper washed bullet . Abullet with a flat base not a heel . What this means is better hits on game and a more moisture proof round.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 264fan

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »
22 Mag is one of the most under rated cartridges out there. I've killed a bunch of coyotes with a 22 mag and many have been at 100 plus yards. Been sold on the mag since I got my first one in 1962.

Offline Mckie Hollow

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 06:55:18 AM »
My 22 mag. will put the Rem. V-Max and the CCI TNT Maxi Mag. thru 2- 3/4" pieces of plywood @ 175yds. and still put a nice groove in the ground. I'm not advocating to shoot coyotes @ that distance, but I can't believe that it wouldn't blow thru the frame of a coyote.

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 11:18:17 AM »
Until we got rid of our chickens I wanted on for coyotes. I want a 10/22 in .22 mag. Second choice a lever gun. Bolt guns and singles shots too slow. When I'm not thinks slowly my Single Six in .22 mag is my bump in the night gun. I've killed feral cats, 'possums, & 'coons with it.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 11:22:25 AM »

Higher velocity/energy is obvious, but what would that incremental amount get you?  I could use it for coyotes but it sounds like you can’t shoot a coyote with a 22 mag any farther than you could with a shotgun.

Higher accuracy at a longer range before going trans-sonic is a reason.
Cost of ammo may offset that value.

I have a 10/22 and CZ452 so my 22 LR jones is met. The reason I am asking is that I am considering a Henry pump (sentimental reasons). I might go with the mag if I understood why I couldn’t live without it.

What am I missing?
What do you use your 22 mag for?

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
Until we got rid of our chickens I wanted on for coyotes. I want a 10/22 in .22 mag. Second choice a lever gun. Bolt guns and singles shots too slow. When I'm not thinks slowly my Single Six in .22 mag is my bump in the night gun. I've killed feral cats, 'possums, & 'coons with it.

Good luck on the 10/22 in mag...  Ruger quit building and selling them because they were a terd.

My go to gun in 22WMR, is a Rem. 597M and it works perfectly EVERY time.  It's never failed to fire/function even one time, over the several years since i bought it new...

DM

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 02:05:19 AM »
I've never seen one.  Doubt if Ruger made many & a lot of the were re-barreled to .17HMR. I wanted the 10/22 because I real good luck with my 10/22 in .22 LR and some early Remingtons had feeding problems. I know the 10/22 mag was a whole different rifle. I think Ruger made a lever action. I seem to remember seeing one. If I saw a Remington one the used gun market I would consider it, if I get chickens again.