Author Topic: Heavy latch sping  (Read 253 times)

Offline Mattsfiest

• Trade Count: (0)
Heavy latch sping
« on: May 17, 2010, 05:00:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

Been lurking for a while and I finally decided to sign up and share something I found, and get everyone's idea on the subject.

I was looking through Fred M's web sight (BTW, thanks Fred M for sharing your ideas) and he talks about using a heavier latch engagement spring which seems like a good idea. I had my .223 apart doing some trigger work and I was looking at the latch spring. What I found was that a hammer spring from a ruger 10-22 is almost the same OD as the handi latch spring just a little more than twice as long. It's also made from a heavier wire (about .o38-.039"). Nice thing about it is that you can cut it to the length you need. Just dont go to long or you'll have to take the trigger guard out to get your rifle open. Another thing is, you can buy an extra heavy 10-22 hammer spring if you wanted it even stiffer.

Any thoughts about this? Any reason to not use a heavier latch spring? Thanks.

Matt

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Heavy latch sping
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 05:08:01 AM »
Welcome Matt! That's covered in depth in the FAQs already including a source for .250"x.041" springs, see Heavy Latch Springs in the accurizing section.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mattsfiest

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Heavy latch sping
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 05:20:52 AM »
Thanks Tim.

I've been slowly working through the faq's but didnt see that you all had found a place to get them. We'll if you happen to have some 10-22 parts laying around..... So far the hammer spring seems to work pretty well.

Matt