Author Topic: Barbette Cariage  (Read 5474 times)

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Barbette Cariage
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
Zulu...I have come to the conclusion that if it is built, you can duplicate it in wood. You, Sir, are a Master Builder! All your work shows a high degree of detail and is just Excellent! Please do show us more of your work! Even the tantalizing shots so far have been very good! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2010, 12:08:28 AM »
BoomLover,
I hope I'm not also misreading your preceding post, but scope out the first page of this thread; our compadre and master wood crafter who hails from the tall T has already completed this build, and the outcome of his labors has as usual, resulted in another superb model.

Boom J,
I took a small dowel and actually tried to lever the large wheel on my model.  Going between spokes and resting the end of the makeshift trail spike on top of the rail that the small wheel sits on, I could make the gun roll.  It was awkward at best and very slow.  In a full scale gun I have to imagine it would have been very hard on the wooden spokes.  If you were in a hurry to shoot it doesn't seem that it would be practical.
Zulu

I think you've got to be right in these observations, Zulu; on a full scale carriage, how akward would it be trying to gain purchase somewhere on the body of the carriage with the front of the handspike, in order to push against a spoke and rotate the wheel forward? As far as the stress put on the spokes go, I don't think it would take all that long a time before the spokes could hohestly be described as 'casualties of war'.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2010, 08:25:22 AM »
Boom J, exactly what I was referring to, his build of this project in wood is a masterpiece, and I was just commenting on it would be nice to be able to see his whole collection. Maybe Zulu could add a Museum Room to house his collection! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2010, 10:44:22 AM »
Corner room - flat roof - parapits -  hmmm. ;)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2010, 11:14:28 AM »
I like the idea!  I am seriously out of room. :P  I'm ready for another large build but I really don't have a place to put it.
I just finished these ammunition chest yesterday and am looking for a place to put them. ???  I have about 50 hours just in the metalwork. :o  These are those same kind of chest that I think look similiar to those Russian ammo chest we saw on that post that had the sled guns on it with ammo boxes.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
If you're seriously pressed for space, I'm sure I can find some to help out.  Just leave them here until you "need" them.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2010, 02:30:49 PM »
Can those be painted....drfc?    ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2010, 07:57:11 PM »
Boom J, exactly what I was referring to, his build of this project in wood is a masterpiece, and I was just commenting on it would be nice to be able to see his whole collection. Maybe Zulu could add a Museum Room to house his collection! BoomLover

Gotcha, BoomLover; I'm not battin' a thousand am I? ;)

Hey Zulu, ya got any real large bathrooms? There's gotta be room for one more build, somewhere. :D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.