Author Topic: Red Dot sight help  (Read 401 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Red Dot sight help
« on: May 16, 2010, 07:52:14 AM »
I acquired 2 rifles that have red dot sights on them from a family member that passed away several years ago. I just now took them out and was looking them over. One is an AR that wears a Hakko Panorama MKIII and one is a Beretta PX4 Storm with a Bushnell Trophy red dot. I've never used a red dot before nor are the manuals with them. Can someone point me in the direction of where I can learn more about these sights and how to use them correctly? I'd like to determine if they might be better suited to another rifle (or handgun) or if I should switch to a scope?

Thank you!!   
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Red Dot sight help
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:35:54 PM »
Dot type sights are intended to be used with both eyes open. I have two on handguns but they work well on shotguns and rifles. You normally adjust the windage and elevation just like a scope and use the level of brightness intensity needed to get the job done. Once the zero is accomplished you put the dot on target and shoot, no matter if the dot is in the center of the filed of view or not. "Dot on target, you're on target".
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline 84Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 06:32:54 PM »
I have one on a .22 revolver, and another on a cross bow.  I really like the concept, especially for fast shooting when the range isn't too far.

I've been looking a little bit for another red-dot for the gun at the top of my wish list, a AR15 M4 carbine.  The selection is overwhelming.  Prices from 30-40$ to more than you'd ever want to pay for a good scope.  I don't think that they are all parallax free 
"Dot on target, you're on target".
but that is definately a feature that I want.  I suppose that this is another case of you get what you pay for.

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »
Thanks for the posts guys. I guess I'll start to tinker with them.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist