Author Topic: Suggest a CC vest for me?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
Suggest a CC vest for me?
« on: March 20, 2010, 05:04:31 PM »
I am looking for a warm weather CC vest. I would like to keep it around a hundred bucks. I am currently using a cabelas vest which is a very nice vest but probably not appropriate for CC as it is too short and has side slits.

I was looking at 5.11 and Woolrich vests on Midway but I am open to others.

I am carrying a 2" Ruger SP101 .357 Mag in a Galco FLETCH holster.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Suggest a CC vest for me?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 05:50:09 PM »
sportsmans guide and the nra store both have a nice leather vest made for c.c. and well under the 100 buck mark.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 03:03:23 AM »
Will not meet the price range but if your a mind too wander into a harley dealership you can find what you are looking for.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:16:30 PM »
I got mine at Wally World for less than $20.  It's khacky colored, long, with numerous pockets.  All cotton.  I'll look at the brand name and let you know.  The downside of that vest is that it's not dressy. You can wear it with jeans or leisure slacks, but it's out of place if you need to be dressier. 

For a nice leather vest, visit a motorcycle vendor, but do without all those silly patches.  A plain leather vest, smooth leather front and back, is a nice touch to most any style of dress.  Too hot in the daytime summer, though.   

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 05:03:40 PM »
If they weren't required for IDPA, I wouldn't own a vest. With the exception of the motorcycle vests, they're a bit out of place in my world. I bought my IDPA vest at a gunshow, it's an "Out Back" made by ROTHCO. It's an "Ok" vest, as vests go, and I paid about $35 for it. Khaki in color, and lots of pockets both inside and out.
Savage
edit"
Here's a link to this vest for sale on Amazon. 

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=rothco+vest&tag=yahhyd-20&index=aps&hvadid=18533568011&ref=pd_sl_1mgakcwraj_b
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 05:15:36 AM »
Now--I am a big fan of barn jackets--see the picture of me--and I have one that I made a weak side pocket for and the Hen sewed it in, and it works good---for a home made idea.
If I were to make a decision--on this line of thinking--that I had too live with, I do believe I would get a good leather vest with the proper pocket.
Money, not being a consideration.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:29:10 AM »
Try finding a Levi Truckers jacket.  Take the sleeves off and have armholes hemmed.  Line inside pockets with leather.  I have done three in different colors here in Arizona.  They swallow my P11 Kel tec weakside and two magazines strongside.  Cool, comfartable, washable, non threatining.

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:11:38 AM »
I bought one from Sportsman's Guide It is a light green in color.  Has numerous (almost too many) pockets.  Plus it has built in holsters on both sides along with cartridge loops and magazine pouches.  I really like mine and it was less than $50.00.

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 02:50:54 AM »
For hot weather CC I prefer a "T" and a colorful shirt, un-tucked.
I like untucked colorful--HI style shirts.
I generally prefer untucked shirts over the choice of a vest.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 03:22:18 AM »
I wear an un-tucked polo shirt over a "wife-beater" most of the time.  The "wife-beater" protects my skin from the gun and vice-versa and the un-tucked polo is my cover garment.  I also like to wear an un-tucked and un-buttoned Hawaiian style shirt over a color coordinated T-shirt during summer months.     
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 04:42:05 AM »
duluth trading co.  made out of fire hose cotton canvas.
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline tonantius

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 06:25:41 AM »
I just bought a plain black leather vest with snaps and two small pockets outside front. It has two pairs of pockets both left and right inside the vest lined with polyester and with restraining Velcro straps. One pocket is designed to hold two magazines, the other is a holster. It will hold anything from and LCP to a full size .45. I bought it from Sportsman's Guide for $45.

I dry-practiced pulling a gun from the holster and the snaps will unsnap easily. It feels funny with a larger handgun in the vest, but my wife says that it is not obvious. However, it is a short vest and does not reach down to my belt, so if you are trying to hide a belt holster, this is not the vest for you.

This is the link:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=490978

Offline tonantius

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 06:30:20 AM »
I wear an un-tucked polo shirt over a "wife-beater" most of the time.  The "wife-beater" protects my skin from the gun and vice-versa and the un-tucked polo is my cover garment.  I also like to wear an un-tucked and un-buttoned Hawaiian style shirt over a color coordinated T-shirt during summer months.     

This is actually a pretty good idea. I do something similar with a dark colored shirt. No special equipment is needed. Your CCW clothes are usually already in the drawer on on the rack.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
If you read the reply's---all we are saying is not to make it complicated and out of place.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 02:14:22 PM »
There is a nice looking bush type vest in the Sportsman's Guide: 4 outside pockets, sleeveless, inside hidden pockets for the necessities...............

Offline Savage

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 02:51:00 AM »
If you read the reply's---all we are saying is not to make it complicated and out of place.
Blessings

Best advice yet! Whatever you choose, choose something that doesn't look out of place in your circle of travel. Around here, the only vests you're likely to see are biker vests. Whatever you choose, make sure it doesn't have any gun, shooting, or tactical patches on it anywhere.

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline dogngun

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 12:29:33 PM »
Back in the old days, vests like this were called "shoot me first" vests...an almost CERTAIN INDICATOR the wearer was concealing a firearm.

I'm more of a slob by nature than many of you, but I have carried some very large handguns in ISP or pocket holsters covered by a baggy t shirt or short sleeved sport shirt a size larger than I really wear. I can use   combination this to carry a compact 1911 - I have carried 4" N-frame S&W revolvers at times, too - but I'm old and they are getting heavy...

mark

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
...For a nice leather vest, visit a motorcycle vendor, but do without all those silly patches.    

This may be a good place to tread lightly, one mans "silly patch" may be anothers call-to-arms.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt