Author Topic: destroying to much venison with that magnum?  (Read 514 times)

Offline 340wby

• Trade Count: (0)
destroying to much venison with that magnum?
« on: November 17, 2003, 04:22:45 AM »
facts
the BULLET DOES 100% of the work

correct bullet placement is the most important factor, exact bullet placement is MANDATORY for getting or expecting reasonable results

bullet construction has a HUGE effect on the type of wound

bullets slow down as range increases,bullets are normally designed for a certain impact velocity window,a bullet designed to expand at 1900-2300fps can,t be expected to perform well at impact velocitys exceeding 3000fps

picking the correct bullet for the application, and placing it on the target correctly is the key to getting reliable bullet performance.

bullets with a jacket designed for slower expansion and having a sectional density of about .260-.300 almost always give reasonably good results.

ITS not the rifle or cartridge used, its the bullet placement and the skill of the hunter that places the shot that determines the results most of the time.

almost any centerfire cartridge will kill almost any game under the correct set of circumstances.

knowing the EXACT LOCATION of your targets VITALS IS MANDATORY

MAGNUMS are NO BETTER OR WORSE that standard cartridges in the hands of a HUNTER that understands the LIMITS and CHARICTERISTICS of the rifle hes useing,and who uses them as they are designed to be used.

MAGNUMS are best used to push heavier bullets to standard velocities rather than light bullets to excessive velocities for the bullet used.

if you fail to follow directions, or operate within the design limits of the equipment its hardly the equipments fault

yeah I am refering in the post above to standard bullets that most guys use!

the premium bullets are designed for greater strength and weight retention on impact,Ive used the BARNEs (X) , FAILSAFES,PARTITIONS,GRANDSLAMS,ETC. they are a good value, and do bring about a better and more depenable performance, but after hunting several seasons most years,in several states,over 34 years,with differant guys and after differant big game ,dozens of hunting camps, I can,t remember more than just a few guys useing those premium bullets, unless they were reloaders like myself.
Id bet more than 80% of the guys I meet at the range or in the field are shooting factory loads, and most of those guys can,t tell you the differance between bullet types other than point shape,(its lucky that most game is fairly easy to kill and that most game is shot at under 300 yards where almost any bullet works at least marginally well)
don,t believe me, next time your at the checkin station at your favorite management area, ask questions about what ammo?, where did you buy it? what bullets used, I bet 50% plus mention,wally world,K-mart,or the local sporting goods store as the source of ammo, and even amoung those that do reload, standard, lead filled,hornady,speer,seirra,remington,winchester,and nosler bullets are in use!

things to read

http://www.mindspring.com/~ulfhere/ballistics/mechanics.html  

http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html]

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
destroying to much venison with that magnum
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 05:49:04 PM »
Amen brother.....................Rick                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         "I don't aim at anything I don't intead to shoot and I don't shoot anything I don't intead to kill"
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"