Author Topic: Western reference of a couple odd revolvers.  (Read 943 times)

Offline Rex in OTZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Western reference of a couple odd revolvers.
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
The western The Good The Bad The Ugly

The caracter Tuco wanted to see the good revolvers and the shop keeper was pulling out the big names in revolvers.

Two were odd to me the Farroute and the Jocelyn
I copied the subtitles from the screen to get the spelling is correct.
I tried to Wikipedia them with no results.

Offline bubba15301

• Avid Poster
Re: Western reference of a couple odd revolvers.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »
jocelyn made muzzleloading carbines not revolvers
BUBBA

Offline 90north

• Trade Count: (4)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 05:13:45 PM »
I think you have the spelling wrong.  I believe you are talking about "Joslyn Carbine" - put it in with that spelling and google it and you'll come up with something.  You should be able to find something on the 1864 model.   :)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Rex in OTZ

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »
I hit pause and copied it on my hand while Tuco was shopping.
I am hard of hearing so I run english subtitle's.
Thats why I was asking I wonderd if the subtitles were not correct and they added a little flavor to spice up the plot by arbitrary name dropping.
So in combination of misspelled names and refernce to revolvers supposedly made by a mfg that never made revolvers?

What year was this supposed to happen in?
Ctg conversion cap & ball revolvers, Gatling guns and telescopic sights in a 1866 yellowboy the movie was full of all sorts of stuff that was off.
At least the train breaks were hand operated and not pneumatic.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 06:22:13 AM »
I had a Joslyn conversion carbine in 58 rim fire.  Like the Snider and Allin conversions, it was a way to convert a 58 muzzleloader musket to cartridges.  It had a side swinging breech cover with a firing pin and cam extractor.  Unlike the Snider, in which the breech block swings down into a trough, the Joslyn was more like a cap that swung over onto an exterior flang.  A rather weak breech system IMO.

There were some mighty peculiar experimental and limited availability odd guns back in the mid 1800's.  Lever action pistols, 12 shot revolvers, LeMats, Colt revolving 12 ga shotguns, Harmonica guns.  Rim fire, pin fire, needle fire, centerfire,

I don't think firearms have gone through so much invention and evolution at anytime in history as the early to mid 1800's.