Author Topic: Long distance animal watching with nightvision/  (Read 420 times)

Offline Poopers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Long distance animal watching with nightvision/
« on: May 24, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »
I want to do some nighttime watching.. specifically I want to see mountain lions.. Anyhoo, I live in eastern Montana which is hilly and open. So I need a NV monocular or binocular that offers GOOD range. Up to 1000 yards at least. I assume no low end optics have a IR beam strong enough for this BUT with a good bright sky, am I likely to be able to see this far? I have never used night vision before so please excuse my ignorance. THanks

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Long distance animal watching with nightvision/
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »
Gonna take more than just night vision to get out that far and be able to make much out.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 02:53:25 AM »
If you want night vision that shows an aminal as anything more then a blur at over 50 yards be prepared to buck up between 3 and 5 grand and even at those levels i would have to believe a 1000 yards is pushing it.
blue lives matter

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:00:33 AM »
I have an inexpensive one labeled "famous trails sharper image " that is good for 100 yds dark, 200 or a bit better with over 1/4 moon. if you want 1000 yards you'll have to enlist to use one if they even have it available.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Poopers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 05:48:54 PM »
Wow, I thought NV basically just intensified the moonlight when the IR wasnt working to the point of it looking like very dim green daylight. Im ignorant on the subject though ( obviously ), thanks guys. GUess I will just hope to catch a glimpse of a mountain lion during the day

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »
I'm lucky I guess that I get to play with thermal optics at work (the old night vision sights didn't work for squat passed about 300yds).  Even now, as I can make out four-legged animals at close to twice the range you want, there isn't enough available image to make it enjoyable for a hobbiest.  The color is still green for us, just as it would be with regular night vision.  The downside is that when you are looking at crap in the desert heat, the sights have a tendency to wash out.

The infared cameras that we had last time I was in country could go out well passed that even, but you are looking at either an all black/white silohuette.

Cheap idea...get a trail cam.