Author Topic: + or - of 12ga. compare to 20ga.  (Read 1448 times)

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
+ or - of 12ga. compare to 20ga.
« on: May 28, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
I know, maybe seems kinda dumb question :-\ but I'm lookin for opinion's from you Guy's cause I know there is lots of experience here. I'm lookin to purchase another H&R/Pardner, I don't plan I ever havin to shoot no more than 2 3/4" ammo outta this gun, and shot prolly nothin larger than #4's maybe a few buckshot rounds just to find out,...it will have rifled slugs through the bore. Here's my question. With all the different ammo out there, except for the beefy rifled slugs, does the 12ga. still hold a respectable edge over a 20ga.?...I know it sure kicks butt on my shoulder! :P  Thanks for your replies! scout4<><

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Re: + or - of 12ga. compare to 20ga.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »
I personally prefer the 20 gauge over any other shotgun made. That is a biased opinion. I was brought up on 20's and have had a few 12's, but always stuck with the 20's.

I have never shot anything and seen it wonder if it was shot with a 20 or a 12.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:34:16 PM »
you can buy 20ga shells up to about the power of medium 12s. you can buy light 12ga shells about the equal of 20s. if you have a preference for one gauge that would be the one to go with. my opinion and you're welcome to it. have a good'en and 'luck neighbor, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline john-78

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:49:32 PM »
i got a 22 in. 20 ga.  it shoots real nice with the fed. tru-ball slugs, and it'll drop a deer dead in it's tracks.  it's also small enough to pull snake charmer duty in the summer.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »
I know, maybe seems kinda dumb question :-\ but I'm lookin for opinion's from you Guy's cause I know there is lots of experience here. I'm lookin to purchase another H&R/Pardner, I don't plan I ever havin to shoot no more than 2 3/4" ammo outta this gun, and shot prolly nothin larger than #4's maybe a few buckshot rounds just to find out,...it will have rifled slugs through the bore. Here's my question. With all the different ammo out there, except for the beefy rifled slugs, does the 12ga. still hold a respectable edge over a 20ga.?...I know it sure kicks butt on my shoulder! :P  Thanks for your replies! scout4<><

DO you have a recoil pad on it? I use a 20 dollar winchester branded limbsaver recoil pad from walmart.

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 06:50:27 PM »
Thank you for replies! I'm not new to the shotgun, I have a 20ga ush that I shoot Remington managed recoil buckhammer's from. My son has a 12ga. pardner. I'm just giving some consideration to the 12 or 20 gauge smoothbore single shot that I want to carry for all around usage far as hunting and bushcraft is concerned. Thanks again! scout4<><

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 07:44:34 PM »
for your uses i'd say go for the 20 gauge. i really like my 12 gauge and never really understood the appeal of a 20 gauge untill i really shot one (had one when i was a kid but moved to the 12 gauge as soon as i could) now i have a 20 and am looking at getting a few more
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 05:05:20 AM »
myself i just sold off 3 different 12s   and replaced all of them with just 1 20
it dont hurt to shoot the 20 and it is a combo so.....
still have a good choise in shot shells and for slug  critters fall down just as fast with the 20 too..
   rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline stringofpoloponies

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 06:11:32 AM »
its really a preferance. i have a 10 guage new england firearms goose model.i had it magna ported and added a slip on recoil pad. recoil is managable now. i find my 20 guage slug guns have a good enough nasty bite to them. for me its not enough night and day difference from the 12 guage  to even worry about. i practice using a caldwell led sled so i dont get beat up.it allows sighting in  and does away with the occasional flinch. i think many waste money sighting in slugs and blame it on the gun because they arent comfortable at the range. i like both calibers but will usually always take the 12 over the 20 most times. your never gonna feel the kick when that big deer steps out/  ;D

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »
My go to small game shot gun has always been a 20ga except for turkey, well I decided this year to try my TDC 20ga for turkey and suprise suprise it killed a nice tom just as dead as my 12ga would've and it was far more exciting letting that tom get in a little closer.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 10:51:42 AM »
Thank You all for your replies! I certainly do appreciate your opinions! And as always, your experience with these firearms is more valuable than you may think. Thanks! scout4<><

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »
The twelve will do more than the twenty but the twenty in your case will do what you need. Note when you shoot twelve guage loads in a twenty it will recoil more as the twenty is lighter in most cases. There are no gains in distance between guages,only in loads

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 12:34:10 PM »
I had a Tracker ll in a 12 and shooting 2 3/4" slugs I didn't want to shoot it but a couple times and I was done.

Got rid of the 12 and bought a 20 gauge Tracker ll and I can shoot 3" slugs any brand all day long and not a problem.

Might be those who say there isn't a difference but you can't prove that to my shoulder or cheek bone!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 11:30:54 AM »
I swore by the 12ga for most of my hunting life.It is still the best choice for most of the claytarget sports.   BUT    After trying the 20ga and taking all manner of game with it,I'm sold.As an all around and woods walking gun a single shot 20ga is hard to beat.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 12:17:38 PM »
20 ga for upland game, 12 for turkey and waterfowl.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
The only thing I hunt with a shotgun is small game.  The 12 is very hard on them.  I like the 20 & the 16.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »
Thank you all for your experienced opinions, your information is appreciated! Swampman I also like the 16ga. but ammo for it around here is hard to find. When I was a boy my dad had two 16 gauges, they both shot very good! And I remember using his old double barrel 16 small game hunting, that old gun sure was accurate! Thanks! scout4<><

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
If I were to only own one scatter gun it would be a 12ga.
Easier to find the ammo you want for the game you are hunting.
there are a wide variety of shells available for the 12 ga.
On that note.
With the same style shells.  lead vs lead, heavy shot vs heavy shot.  you really are not going to tell the difference between them
You will tell the difference in carrying 2 boxes of shells quail hunting in CA when you are over hill and dale all morning.
those 50 shells of 7/8 of an ounce not to mention the 1/12 of an ounce less the 20 hull is adds up over the miles.
Same reason when CA quail hunting I will opt for a 410 and carry extra water for me and my friends dog.
I am not sold on the 20 ga for deer hunting.  Tried it with #3 buck and lost a good buck.  The 12 with buck is better.
So i guess your application of the shotgun is going to determin what pluses or minuses matter.
Water fowel or Deer = 12 ga.
upland game = 12 or 20
Long walks while upland in steep terrain = 20ga.
Trap - either work.  payload is helpful but if you are on you are on.

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 02:49:47 AM »
i'm thinking about setting up a 12 gauge pardner with a full length 20 ga insert tube...should be quite versatile