Author Topic: Ruger SR22  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Ruger SR22
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »
My son recently bought one of the new Ruger SR 22's and dressed it out wilth all the bells and whistles. It is a firearm well worth the money and far outshines all others of it's type! If you buy one I seriously doubt you'll regret it.

Offline SD Handgunner

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Ruger SR22
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:32:31 PM »
I didn't buy a Ruger SR-22, but I built one so to speak.

I had an old Ruger 10/22, and decided to dress it up a bit.

I shortened the factory carbine barrel to 17" (removing the front sight in the process). I then attached a plain silver unvented Green Mountain Aero Shroud to my shortened factory carbine barrel to give it the appearance of a Stainless-Steel Bull Barrel without the added weight.

I did a complete action / trigger job, including installing a Volquartsen Target Sear, and mount the barreled action in a Nordic Components AR-22 Aluminum Receiver Chassis Kit. to complete the package I added a Stoner Buffer Tube with 6 Position Collapsable Buttstock, DPMS Vented Aluminum Carbine Length Free Float Tube and DPMS A2 Pistol Grip.

I used Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Scope Risers with Weaver 1" High Extension Quad Lock 4x4 Scope Rings to mount an old Simmons Model 1022T 3x9x32mm AO Riflescope on it. This is the same mount I use on both of my AR-15's and puts the scope at the right height above the comb of the stock for me.

My home made Ruger SR-22 got quite a workout this winter at our Indoor Shooting Range. We had a youth rifle league at our indoor shooting range and a half dozen or so kids used my Ruger to shoot their league. These kids ranged in age from 10 years old to 18 years old and the Ruger was great as the 6 position collapsable buttstock could be made the right length for each one of the kids that shot the Ruger.

I am not sure if it was shortening the factory barrel, adding the Aero Shroud or the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit was what makes this Ruger Carbine Barrel shoot so good or what. At any rate it shoots better than I thought a Ruger 10/22 Carbine could shoot.

Larry
T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 05:09:09 AM »
Here's what my son's looks like. he's since put a tactical bi pod on it though.

Took another pic :)

Offline SD Handgunner

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »
Very nice. That is the great thing about the SR-22, you can have it just about any way you want it.

Larry
T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 04:42:43 PM »
I'm not sure who makes the scope but it's really unique in that you have both your scope and fiberoptic sights, plus Jason added a laser sight too.