Author Topic: Loose Barrel Question  (Read 733 times)

Offline Pop Green

• Trade Count: (0)
Loose Barrel Question
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:43:13 AM »
I recently retrieved my stainless steel Taurus Model 85 38 Special from one of the daughters. I had loaned it to her for personal protection. I replaced this 5-shot revolver with a 12-shot 9 mm and loaded it and the spare magazine with Speer Gold Dots and gave her a couple of boxes of practice ammo. I also took her to the range and spent a lot of time on how the gun works to be certain she is comfortable with it. She is an excellent pistol shot and I believe she will be better served with a little more fire power.

I cleaned up the revolver and took it to the range to see how it shot since I hadn't seen it for a few years. I was shocked that it shot so far to the right. I quickly found the problem to be the threaded barrel had loosened enough to move the front sight a few degrees off center. I now know where it needs to be to hit at POA. My question is can I use Loctite or some other product to keep the barrel from loosening again? I takes some effort to make the barrel move but I want to make sure it stays solidly where it needs to be. Any good advice will be appreciated.
Pop

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Loose Barrel Question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 04:47:09 AM »
I wouldn't hesitate to use Lock Tite on the barrel threads. Next time buy American?
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline El Gringo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »
Please send that back to Taurus...loctite is not your answer.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:02:46 AM »
agreed
Please send that back to Taurus...loctite is not your answer.
blue lives matter

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 09:59:13 AM »
I saw a video on You Tube of the medium framed stainless steel Taurus revolver having the barrel actually fly off of the frame.  No one got hurt, the barrel went out about 25 feet and the guy was standing there with just the frame in his hand.

Offline bosterr

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 02:10:15 AM »
A loose grip will also throw shots, this has happened to me many times. This is also common in the Contender, and it dosen't have to be a hard kicker.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 02:22:32 AM »
You can take your chances with Taurus service  :'(  Or just bring it to a decent gunsmith, maybe have him pin the barrel, like older S&W's.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....