Author Topic: Thinkin about startin to cast,,where to get lead?  (Read 785 times)

Offline Scotsman1886

• Trade Count: (2)
Thinkin about startin to cast,,where to get lead?
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:28:58 PM »
I am thinking I'll start casting for my black powder guns. I have been reading some here and there and "they say wheel weights are bad for black powder bullets. Ok for balls but not minnies etc.
So,,if thats true, wheres a good place to get pure lead?

Offline RB1235

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Thinkin about startin to cast,,where to get lead?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »
 Don't know if it's true or not. Been using wheel weights for years for balls, shot and mini. Never used anything different. Pure lead for shot and tin/antimony in balls and mini.

Offline WayneS

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »
There are two "flavors" of WW, the clip on type and the "stick on" type., The stick on's are softer  [lowere BHN #] than the clip on's.
I see pure lead as well as clip & stick WW for sale on the cast boolit forum in the classifieds

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »
Plumbing supply , metal recycle yards , some dry wall has lead in it check when hospitals or dr's offices get remodeled , When water mains get replaced often they are lead pipe or caulk joints , a 4 inch joint is around 4 lbs of lead on a sewer line and more on a water main. Then there are junk yards for building supplies , some old window weights are lead but not all be sure before you buy. Never tried battries but have wonered if they would yeild good lead ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:10:55 PM »
The base auto hobby shops are normally good for a free 5gal bucket full whenever I stop by; just have to sort out the zinc and cigarette butts. If youre military or have a base sticker, I'd give that a look. A friend of mine snorkels the reefs around the popular fishing spots, and can usually pull up a couple pounds in sinkers in an hour; sometimes scores a dive weight that slipped out.

I keep the sticker ww separate and cast them in their own muffin ingots to use for round ball.

Here's something handy I found:
Commercial Pig Lead - 99.6% lead; Cable Sheathing - 98.5% lead; Battery Lead - 90% lead and 10% antimony; Plumbers Solder - 67% lead and 33% tin; Wheel Weights - (varies) may contain anything from aluminum to zinc, in addition to antimony and lead; Type Metal - 82% lead, 15% antimony and 3% tin.
held fast

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 04:01:13 AM »
what you want for your black powder gun is pure or at least near pure. About the only way to get it is either with stick on wws or go to a salvage yard. Problem with the salvage yard is you about cant tell what your getting unless your real experienced with lead. A scratch test will tell if you have experience but a hardness tester is about needed to be sure. Most lead at salvage yards that ive been to isnt pure. But usually you can find some if you really need it. Another sorce is phone companys and power companys. They used to use alot of lead shielded cable and that lead was near pure. that source has about dried up now though.
blue lives matter

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »
I thought of your post today as I went into a small mom & pop gun shop and they had  pure lead for sale.... I've shot a few WW minis  -- and that is cheeper,,,
Or mix 1/2 of each             Dan

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 02:31:41 AM »
When I cast for my Black Powder 45-70's, I use a mixture of 20/1 pure lead and pure tin.  I weigh out the lead and tin and mix them in the melting pot.  However, for everyday plinking around, I have no problems with wheel weights in my Black Powder guns.  Won't hurt anything, just not quite as accurate.  I save the 20/1 alloy for target matches where every little bit of accuracy you can squeeze out of a rifle is important.

I think that ideal for round ball is pure lead if you can get it.