Author Topic: Lyman Deerstalker 50 cal carbine  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Old Lucky 01

• Trade Count: (2)
Lyman Deerstalker 50 cal carbine
« on: May 22, 2010, 03:47:43 PM »
Hello....I located a NIB 1991 production Lyman Deerstalker 50 cal percussion "Custom" carbine at a gun store.  When I opened the box, I found that this carbine actually had a 21" barrel instead of the 24" barrel that I thought the Deerstalker usually came with.  Apparently, Lyman made a run of what they describe in the enclosed brochures as a "Custom Carbine version of the Deerstalker that had several different variations to the normal Deerstalker.  These upgrades include (in addition to the shorter barrel) an Uncle Mikes sling with detachable swivels, a white bead front sight and folding rear sight.  As a promotion, Lyman also included (12) Buffalo Bullet Company 50 cal hollow point 385 gr, hollow base prelubricated bullets.  Since the bullets in their plastic case have been in the Lyman cardboard box for almost 19 years, the lube has evaporated and the lead has oxidized.  If possible, I would like some input on a few questions I have about my new gun;

What is thought of the accuracy of the 21" barrel version of the Deerstalker over the normal 24" gun?  I actually thought I had purchased a 24" Deerstalker and didn't know any different until I removed the 21" barrel from the plastic wrapper.

What are your opinions of the Buffalo Bullets and could I still use those same bullets after re-lubing them with TC's Bore Butter? 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Lyman Deerstalker 50 cal carbine
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 04:01:18 PM »
The 21" barrel will shoot just as well as the longer barrel.  The bullets will shoot fine if you relube them.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Old Lucky 01

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 04:12:08 PM »
Thanks for the info....I've also been looking online for a source for Buffalo Bullets of different weights and designs, but I can't seem to find a distributor...any suggestions?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 04:32:26 PM »
I think they are out of business.  I have a few .50s in my stash.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Old Lucky 01

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »
I have heard that also...I found an address and phone number, so I'll try to give them a call on Monday to see if they are really gone.