Author Topic: Best Position to Carry a CCW.  (Read 3185 times)

Offline whackmnstackm1775

• Trade Count: (1)
Best Position to Carry a CCW.
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:24:09 AM »
Ladies and Gents,

I have been wanting a true concealed carry pistol for sometime.  However, my choice of weapon has been delayed by my inability to figure out the best "most comfortable/accessable" position.  I am 5'9, 170 male.  I typically dress in jeans and a t-shirt, and where a fleece jacket when its chilly, but mostly its just jeans and a t-shirt. I tuck the shirt in. I am finding it difficult to find a position to which I can carry  concealed weapon at all times.  Additionally, I have small ankles so an ankle holster is pretty much out of the question.  I would appreciate an suggestions as to which weapon to carry and where. Thanks

JOhn

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best Position to Carry a CCW.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:54:23 AM »
After you try every mode of carry i bet you end up with a S&W J frame ( lightweight one) in a front pocket in a pocket holster . Its just plain easy . Sitting is the only draw back . You may find jeans one size larger work better to hide gun . I know this because i spent lots of cash and tried lots of ways to tote. Holsters on the belt in summer don't work with out vest or jacket . IWB are a pain and with some pants fall off when you draw , others are impossible to re holster gun. Ankle holsters are ok when driving . Shoulder rigs are ok in winter . Paddle holsters require a cover garmet. So in the end a pocket carry works all the time other than maybe if a speedo is what you wear.
 Now always carry in same place , I switched back and forth alot when i started to carry . One night i had a shoulder rig on and reached for my pocket gun . It could have been bad . So now i carry pocket gun no matter how many other guns i have with me . HABITS are hard to break. And men with fanny packs just say gun no matter how many Disney critters you paste on or rainbows you draw on them.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:20:03 AM »
In a 20 year period of L.E., and the last 16 years just plain ole citizen, I over the years carried about everything I consider adequate for personal protection, and tried ankle holsters, boot holsters, and shoulder holsters, and every thing in between.
The best weapon I came up with is a J-Frame Model 60 Smith, in 357 mag. The best carry method I found (3 in all) is: An inside the waist band in suede leather with a clip. I carry this rig, in my boot for dress, in front next to my belt buckle with a t-shirt (tail out), and on my hip with either my shirt tail out, or a jacket or coat. If I am wearin something like overalls I put the pistol in my pocket.

The pistol has plenty of serious power, is light enough to be comfortable, and small enough to be easily concealed.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:10:15 AM »
I carry either the model 60 or a small frame auto in my right front jeans pocket (just don't buy the Wranglers so tight that you don't have room to get in and out of the pocket),  Sometimes,  when I wear a coat I carry in a in-side the pants holster.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:18:17 AM »
Try a 349 PD , 12 ozs of 357 mag. carries like a dream hits like a nightmare on both ends . And the fire it spits is impressive .

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »
Get a new wardrobe, or go to pocket carry in loose fit jeans. Depending on your laws, covering the weapon may be a huge deal or simply a personal choice. Generally speaking you need to start dressing loosely, make it a point to buy Tall sized shirts if they aren't hanging far enough to suit you. Very few people are paying any attention to your waist area.

If you are going to belt carry plan on spending the money to get a high quality holster and BELT. The belt being as much or more important as the holster, double layer bullhide and possibly a stiffener. A weak belt cannot be tightened enough to make up for the stiffness of a good gunbelt. When new, my Beltman belt could support the weight of the holster and gun with me holding near the buckle area.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:01:12 AM »
Consider also what you do , Will you bend over in public ? reach up ? be getting in and out of vehicles alot in front of people ? Will you  sweat alot ?................................

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
Pocket carry is a good bet when dressing for hot weather.  Another option I use with a small weapon (a Kel-Tek .32 and a Ruger lcp .380) is put on a pair of high athletic sox, and tuck the pistol into the left inner sox, if you are right handed.  Works best with a light weight, flat auto loader.  I have walked quite a bit with a pistol so carried without issue, though I am not sure about running any distance that way.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 12:08:59 PM »
Dang youz a skinny little rascal.  ;D Me I'm a trim 5' 8" and a mere 260+ pounds.  :o

I have come to the conclusion the best position to carry a concealed handgun is IN MY HAND. Yup I can even pull it off wearing pants and t-shirt tho these days those pants are more likely to be camo fatigue types than jeans. Just select a matching or contrasting if ya prefer light weight vest with a deep pocket and ya can stick your hand in and hold that CCW any time you're out and about in a place where it might need to be used. Of course in a store or other place ya are fairly sure it won't be needed you can button or zip or velcro close that same pocket and not worry about it falling out or being seen but it is still fairly quickly accessible should things change on ya sudden like.

I have one vest not as great for real hot weather as it's a bit warm if the weather is hot but it has a game pouch type back even tho it's sure not intended as a game pouch as it's merely fabric lined. That thing is so perfect for putting a CCW into and totally hiding it I could carry any size short of a 14" TC in there without it printing I think. It seems perfectly natural to have my hands in there as I walk and with my CCW in hand ready for instant action with no extra motion needed. In fact with the often carried S&W 638 firing it from in the pocket still completely hidden would be easily do able tho I suspect that might end the usefulness of it in the future due to the holes and burn the hot gases would leave. But if that manuver saved me or a family member that sacrifice would be well worth the lost of it.

Unlike Dee I've come to hate those IWB holsters tho I do have them for many of my guns. Iffen I weren't so plump I might like them more. At times I do pocket carry tho more often with my Kel-Tec P32 than a larger or heavier gun. Still those fatigue pants billows pocket can conceal a fairly large CCW just fine tho admittedly a bit slower to access if needed.

I think staying fully aware of your surroundings and staying the heck outta really bad places has more to do with your ultimate safety than what or how you carry a weapon. For the most part if it's a place I actually feel much liklihood of needing that handgun I just ain't going there to start with. I am constantly alert to my surroundings and in parking lots which around here is about the most likely place to be accosted I am looking and listening at all times for any indication of trouble and for possible hiding spots for a thug to way for someone to come by. So far I've never needed to use that CCW but a great many others in this county have been abducted, robbed, raped in some of the very same parking areas I do use time to time. I'd not want to be without my CCW in them just in case.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »
With those stats, I'll bet you put off a pretty good shade GB. ;D

Offline pneuby

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 02:58:47 PM »
The best carry method I found .... is:  ...in front next to my belt buckle with a t-shirt (tail out),

I've managed that with even a full-size Glock 17. Yes, I do have a paunch, so don't let that stop you.  ;D Trick is a shirt with a pattern, just to mask the occasional poke of the butt. Preferably, a button down shirt.  Unbelievably fast, whether one or two handed on the draw. Accessed easily while seated. Very defendable in a physical scuffle, IF your assailant feels it at all. NOTHING to give away your CCW when bending over.

You have to give this MORE than just a few hours, or even a few days try. Once adapted to it, it's fantastic.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 04:04:17 PM »
A PPK covered by a money clip is a good method---did that for many years--even when TIGHT pants were the vogue.
I carry almost every thing now in my pants at about 3:30---cover it with a "T" or shirt not tucked in.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dee

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 04:05:12 PM »
The best carry method I found .... is:  ...in front next to my belt buckle with a t-shirt (tail out),

I've managed that with even a full-size Glock 17. Yes, I do have a paunch, so don't let that stop you.  ;D Trick is a shirt with a pattern, just to mask the occasional poke of the butt. Preferably, a button down shirt.  Unbelievably fast, whether one or two handed on the draw. Accessed easily while seated. Very defendable in a physical scuffle, IF your assailant feels it at all. NOTHING to give away your CCW when bending over.

You have to give this MORE than just a few hours, or even a few days try. Once adapted to it, it's fantastic.

YEP! I carry it right over my appendix scar. ;)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 01:26:25 AM »
That is a very good way too carry.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 04:45:16 AM »
Unless you are a full figured guy !

Offline Dee

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 05:54:15 AM »
Is "full figured" a term being substituted for "fat boy"? ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 05:57:36 AM »
Some might consider the two term inter-change-able  ;)

Offline Dee

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 06:03:31 AM »
My wife is full figured "not fat". Men on the other hand are: stocky, or slender, short, or tall, skinny, or FAT! "Portly" could I suppose be substituted for fat, but it's a dead giveaway. ;)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 10:33:30 AM »
ONLY portions of me are fat.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 10:48:01 AM »
Me too , just above the belt ! I consider it bad form to use IWB holsters as they point the gun at my leg .

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »
I carry a Kel Tec P32 in a shoot through wallet holster. The Kel Tec slides in from the side and fits tight. There is an opening for the trigger and magazine release and for the magazine itself. You can fire the pistol and reload without removing it from the holster. It patterns like a normal wallet in your pocket and thus can be easily carried no matter what your wearing. It also has an extra hole for another finger giving you a very solid grip. Much better than with the pistol alone. The slide clears the edge of the wallet allowing you to fire. Now when a hoodlum robs you what's the first thing they ask for? Your wallet! With this set up you simply pull it out, and give it to him. All eight rounds if need be!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 02:48:36 AM »
Nope, I am not going to rant about scabbards.
 :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 06:34:37 AM »
In some locations that wallet is a no no .

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »
It's legal because the slide is exsposed. It does not conceal the firearm.

Welllll, after calling the BATF and being passed around, and around, and around, and around.....well you get the picture, it seems they don't know themselves. They passed me off to the state and finally I ended up talking to the sherrif's office firearms exspert. The verdict? Yes they are legal. Now maybe in a few places they aren't, but that could simply be because in some places conceal carry istself is not legal. Sooooo now ya know. :)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 09:39:08 AM »
I think you are correct as the early models covered the gun in total . With part of the gun exposed it would be different . I had remembered them being on sale for next to nothing when it was found they were not legal .

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 10:34:26 AM »
Way I look at it is that if the Sheriff Dept.'s own in house exspert on such matters, a man who's very job it is to know these things, tells me it's legal.....then it's legal. And he's the one the BATF told me to ask!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »
That said things in LE change with out warning .

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »
On the BATF's site it doesn't say they are illegal, only that a $5 tax is required on any weapons holster that has a hole in it allowing the firearm to be fired while holstered. That is it's exact wording but do you realise how many holsters that actually covers? ( Not to mention the BATF doesn't acknowledge that statute even exists ) How about the thousands of western quick draw holsters out there? The trigger area is cut out allowing the trigger finger full access of the trigger. The toe of the holster is open, thus constituting a hole allowing the weapon to be fired when holstered and I've often seen cowboy action shooters do just that. Swivel the holster up and fire! I'll go with what the Sheriff Dept. says.