Author Topic: winchester PDX12  (Read 742 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
winchester PDX12
« on: May 31, 2010, 11:13:25 AM »
 I had been looking to get my hands on some Winchester PDX12 ammo. For those who don't know what they are it's a new 12 ga. load with a 1 oz. slug with three 00buck pellets in front of it. I went to the range to day to test them and see how they perform. I used my fn slp mark 1 with the improved cylinder choke (22in. barrel) I tested them at 15 yards, the slug as you would think hit dead center and the three pellets stayed about evenly spaced in a about perfect triangle within a 8-10 pattern (5 shots tested). I then set a target out at 50 yards to see how consistant they were with remington 2 3/4 inch 1 oz slug. I know 50yrds really is really long for a defensive range but I just wanted to see how accurate the slugs were behind buckshot compared to slugs without. Normally the remingtons have been easily kept within 3 inches out of my SLP. I loaded three PDX12's and they grouped within 5 inches I then took another two and loaded them in with three remington 2 3/4 slugs and they all impacted at the same point in about 5 inches (granted this was all done offhand) Didn't have any problems feeding, course usually a shogun is a shotgun shell when it comes to feeding. All in all I was pretty happy with the performance of them, granted not quit as accurate as a normal slug but there is buck shot in there to boot. It seems to be a pretty good all around defensive load if you don't have to worry about over penetration from a slug.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
Re: winchester PDX12
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:44:51 PM »
This is not the first commercial load of this type. It's been done before, I'm not sure if any of the previous offerings are still on the market. Mixed-projectile shells get a lot of oohs and ahhs but don't really generate a lot of sales. Maybe this one will be different, too early to tell.

Loading "buck & ball" is nothing new, it was common in the days of smoothbore muskets.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
Re: winchester PDX12
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 05:41:39 PM »
Yeah I realise it really isn't new you can stilll find them in cheaper then dirt but it is the first time I have seen a big name company rather then a company practically no one really has heard off.