Author Topic: N-SSA nationals  (Read 1016 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
N-SSA nationals
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »
  121st N-SSA nationals are this weekend lots of cannons, and mortars, i am leaving  thursday night.  cannonman you know where my camper is come on over.

I will bring back some pics.

rick bryan
  3rd va co B
   N-SSA

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: N-SSA nationals
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
Sounds good!

Some time in the future I plan to make it up there,

life is just putting too much on my plate right now.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:00:47 AM »
Thanks, Rick, someday hopefully I'll be able to make it there; if Cannonmn makes it, tell him we miss him on the forum.

Artilleryman,
Is the Midwest Artillery Show at the Bluewater Sportsman's Association still held every year?

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »
We have not talked about having a Midwest Artillery Show this year. We will be shooting artillery at Bluewater in July.
Camp Grayling ( 2hrs north of here.) is on July30 and Aug.1. This is where the guns run service loads.

Bob

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:40:57 PM »
We will be having three ACWSA (American Civil War Shooters Association) artillery matches at Blue Water, and one at Grayling.  There is also the Long Range Artillery Match that Loomis Battery puts on.  With this many artillery matches we really don't have time for a Mid-West Artillery Show.  We have already held our first match in connection with a high school field trip.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:21:36 AM »
Thanks, Bob and Norm.

Leesecw has posted in the 'upcoming cannon shoots and events' sticky: Camp Grayling (Crawford County, MI) Sat. July 31st, 9:00AM - 4:00PM, and Sun. August 1st, 9:00AM - 12:00PM.

Norm; would you post the dates and times of the ACWSA matches to be held at Blue Water in Port Huron, MI. No info on these matches is listed on the Blue Water Sportsman's Association website, or if it is I couldn't find it.

"There is also the Long Range Artillery Match that Loomis Battery puts on."  Where is this match held, and are the date and time known?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »
The Long Range Artillery Match by Loomis Battery is the Grayling match July 31-Aug 1.   Loomis Battery is now an ACWSA unit not NSSA.

The Blue Water Shoots are: July 24-25, and October 23-24.   We will also have an ACWSA shoot on the same range that we shoot the long range artillery match on September 24-26.

This webpage has information about ACWSA shoots in Michigan.   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=123117631965 

This website has information about the ACWSA.     http://www.acwsa.org/

The ACWSA allows some sub scale mortars and cannons.  There are minimum sizes for the sub scale.  Members are encouraged to shoot full scale.  If a person wants a small gun there are full scale small guns that can be built. 

The ACWSA is a growing organization and we are looking for new members.  You can sign up as an individual and can pick a unit to join or have one assigned to you.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »
Norm,
Thanks much, for the information, and the two links about ACWSA. Maybe this year I'll be able to work things out, so I could finally get to attend one of these matches.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »
Norm,

You want to tell us about ACWSA?

Are you still with N-SSA?

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »
I am no longer with the NSSA.  The American Civil War Shooters Association is much more appealing to me and better meets my needs.  

The ACWSA is a smaller but growing organization which started in the 90s in the Wisconsin/Illinois area.  Since August of last year we have added over 200 new members from the Michigan/Ohio area.  The ACWSA shoots in uniform with small arms and artillery of the Civil War.  It is a much more flexible organization that is open to doing things in a new way as long as it is safe.  It accepts members as young as are eligible to take and pass a state hunter's safety course.  This gets young people started as much as three years earlier than the NSSA.  In the ACWSA you do not have to join a unit in order to join the organization.  You can sign up at a shoot and be assigned to a unit.  Right now the first year's dues are free and regular member dues are up $5 from $10 to help pay for this recruitment program.  

For artillery and mortar competition sub scale guns are allowed as long as they meet minimum size requirements.  Full scale guns of course are encouraged as there are a number of small full scale guns that can be built..

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »
As far as I know the bunch from Fort Shenandoah will be back up this year to Grayling{1st Maryland and 5th Virginia} I hear they {Walt and Tim}built a mountain rifle over the course of the winter but I'm going on what walt's wife told me. With Tim's 3 inch ordinance rifle and the other field pieces they may need to bring a semi fill of artillery
If Guns cause crime, then mine are defective...Ted Nugent

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 05:22:53 AM »
I am sure that Tim will find a way.  

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 12:17:17 PM »
I just heard that there are four other eastern artillery crews that are interested in attending the long range match this year.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »
3 rd US.  ?

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »
Don't know about them.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »
Well???? 

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 02:58:20 PM »
Only heard that Tim was going to ask Matt for four more applications to give to other units that wanted to come up to Grayling.  The 3rd US wasn't mentioned.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 11:10:56 AM »
Here today that John Wells of the 3rd US is bringing his gun.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 12:01:54 PM »
Should be alot of extra guns this time. Maybe enough for a third relay again.
We are taking about everything we have including the Agar for a demo. My Hughes has about 3 good days work left. Talked about leaving "the little ones" not being shot out for display. More visitor appeal.