Author Topic: Loads for the round ball in 20 gauge.  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
Loads for the round ball in 20 gauge.
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:10:14 PM »
Don't shoot, I searched the FAQs first!  ;D

I want to work up two different loads for my 20 gauge.  All loads will be with Mag Tech all brass shells, smokeless powder.

First, I'd like a mildish load for a single ball, something about a thousand or twelve hundred feet or so.  Am I correct in thinking I don't need any wadding for this load?

Second, a full bore load using two balls, thirteen or fourteen hundred foot seconds here.  I need wadding here, don't I boys?  I have to make sure that the two balls remain touching, correct?

I've got the proper sized wadding from Circle Fly to use with the Mag Techs.  I'm a very experienced handloader, but just not with shotguns.  I'd like some starting loads for some of the various shotgun powders, Red Dot, Bullseye, 2400, the usual suspects.

Thanks for all the help.

Cat

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Loads for the round ball in 20 gauge.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »
Catshooter,

Here's what I know and it is all for the 12 gauge.  I have loaded single round balls (.69" diameter) and they weigh about 1.2 ounces.  A 69 caliber round ball is under barrel diameter in a 12 ga, so I place them in a shot cup and shoot them out of a rifled barrel.  Accuracy close to a foster slug.

I have also shot these same 69 caliber round balls out of a 12 muzzleloading smooth bore shotgun.  I patched them so them were tight.  If I could hit a pie plate 50% of the time @ 25 yards I was lucky.  Basically, no spin, no stability, no accuracy, back to the days of the smoothbore musket.

My thoughts are you need a rifled bore to make a single ball fly right. 

I think you need some type of gas check to make the thing shoot correctly. 

If you are anywhere near bore diameter you will only be able to load one ball.  If you want multiple balls you probably have to go to buckshot.

I use WSF winchester powder for my 12 GAUGE sabots & these round balls.  24 to 27 grains, there is a member who goes to 30 grains with 1.2 oz slug, but I found 27 grains of WSF to be plenty hot.  Again 12 gauge information that isn't all that helpful for a 20 ga.

Good luck and be safe.

BB

PS: my neighbor has a nasty orange tomcat if you are looking for any targets. ;)
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: Loads for the round ball in 20 gauge.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »
Why not try buck & ball I have loaded 2 .490 round balls topped with 3 00 buckshot gunna pattern it tomorrow. this is 12ga also.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga