Author Topic: Anybody around San Antonio?  (Read 1084 times)

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
Anybody around San Antonio?
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:11:08 AM »
I should be headed that way in July.  Any decent affordable hunting around there?  Also looking for hints on the area as far as renting/buying a small acreage (5-10).

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anybody around San Antonio?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:37:16 AM »
no guns here.  Type "Texas Dear Lease" in your search engine, you should be able to come up with some information on a "Lease" in that area, you may even want to talk to a real estate agent about leases, sometimes they can help find a place that may be on the market for sale where the owner would like to may a few bucks until the sale takes place.

Contrary to what some may say………….a reasonably priced hunting lease can be found if you look.  I have seen 2-3 hundred acre tracts for year round hunting go for as little as $600. a year.  That normally includes all game, varmints and fishing when tanks (ponds) are on the place.  Some even allow camping and offer electrical hook-ups.

Just don’t go in thinking it will cost you an arm and leg to hunt, I’m sure if you search you will find a place you can afford even if it means getting on a lease with a group you don't know. (thats another subject, and one I would approach with caution, do a little checking to ensure they are not a bunch of outlaws before you committe.) 8)

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »
no guns here.  Type "Texas Dear Lease" in your search engine,..................

HEY !! :o   Are you trying to get ngh in trouble with his wife?? :D :D ;D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:18:29 PM »
That was MY thought!  If that search ever popped up on the screen she might decide to do a little  "DEAR" huntin' on her own!

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline radar

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:51:26 AM »
Check the San Antonio Sunday paper online for hunting leases. I personally have not seen a 300 acre hunting lease for 600.00 per year in a long time. Not that they do not exist, but are probably rare and surrounded by high fence game ranches or some other drama. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.
 I work around oil fields and construction sites near San Antonio and live here as well. You should be able to find a lease in west or south Texas for 1000.00 - 5000.00 a year. Price will usually dictate the quality of the lease and the quality of the landowner.
 Hill country property which would be west or north of San Antonio is expensive. I think land in south Texas is priced fairly and maybe your best bet.
 You can book day hunts or weekend hunts for hogs year round and I have seen them advertised for 200-500 dollars. The same with Dove season. Deer is a little different and the best deals for a weekend are usually a cull hunt where you can kill a couple does or a cull buck for under 1000.00. Typically this includes meals and lodging for the weekend, some outfits will let you kill a hog or two for free as well.
 There are two gunshops in San Antonio that have websites, look their sites up and call them for more information on hunting leases. They are Dury's Guns and Nagel's Guns. These folks always have hunts and leases posted in their stores or on their websites. Ranch managers make it a point to visit these folks. ;)

Good Luck

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:57 AM »
You will also need to check with each county that you look at land. Many if not most, have a minimum acreage you can hunt on. I know for a fact, most counties won't allow hunting on 10 acres or less. And I have also found some to be at 20 acres or less.

Also, Texas Legislature a few years back passed a law preventing anyone from shooting a firearm over a property line/fence line. There have been a few $10,000 fines collected for violators. It would be hard to keep a projectile within the property limits of a 5 acre tract.