Author Topic: liquid alox and round balls  (Read 861 times)

Offline brpc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.rpcrange
liquid alox and round balls
« on: May 23, 2010, 06:26:34 AM »
This thought may well come under the heading of "things that probably don't do much of anything" but has anyone tumble lubed round balls for use in a cap and ball revolver?  I realize that velocities are low and a lead ring is cut when loaded in the chamber.  This said, I did use the alox to cut down on leading in conventional revolvers in years past.

Any thoughts?

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
Re: liquid alox and round balls
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:23:11 AM »
Probably ok, if you keep the balls in a dust and dirt proof container til use, as I've used tumble lube with 9mm and 45acp cast bullets and if placed in pockets on warm days they become quite lumpy and I've taken to bringing a rag to the range to wipe off bullets that have attracted extra. it tends to act like gum in less than sterile environments, and b/p is about as unsterile as it gets.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:38:49 AM »
I think you hit upon the problem with that idea. Since there are no lube grooves on a ball the Alox will be scraped off the bearing surface when the ball is rammed into a chamber and you'd have no lube at all. I don't believe Alox would be a good BP lube anyway, BP needs a softer lube which will keep the fouling soft.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:28:55 PM »
I agree with Coyotejoe.
You'd probably scrape off any lubricant by seating the bullet.
Black powder requires a moist lubricant, and plenty of it. You're not only lubricating the projectile, but keeping the fouling soft for it to be pushed out by the passage of the next projectile.
Alox doesn't mix well with black powder, in my experience.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."