Author Topic: Optima Elite Owners...  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Optima Elite Owners...
« on: May 29, 2010, 07:40:39 AM »
Found this on the cva website!!  Make sure you read that the open sight holes will NOT work as the holes are misaligned.  But for that price.....
http://store.cva.com/cva/specials/optima-elite-barrel-24-blued-20-ga-shotgun.html

Offline Tombo64

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Optima Elite Owners...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 12:58:24 PM »
I actually ordered one of these from the Bergara website, and just got it recently. Now I'm waiting for a shotgun forearm from Graf and Sons. When I ordered the barrel, I hadn't read about the sights.(Should have realized they couldn't be THAT cheap without some kind of problem) The barrel is actually set up for turkey hunting, and comes with an extra full turkey choke. It has a one piece scope mount and front and rear fiber optic sights. The problem with it is that the hole for the front sight was drilled slightly off center; the front sight is off to the left a little. I'm not real experienced with shotguns, but I thought for the price, it might be a good deal. My thinking is that since it's a shotgun, and I (probably) dont need the precision sighting as with a rifle, it just might work.

I already have a .243 barrel that works great, and I thought it would be neat to have a shotgun barrel, especially for $59.95. ;D When I get the forearm, and give it a try, I'll let you all know how it is. 

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:08:46 PM »
I bought one of these to try as well. I figured it might be OK for my son to take turkey hunting. Just got it yesterday, only took 4 weeks for it to get here! :o  I will say on mine though, I guess I got lucky cause if the front sight is off kilter, you cannot tell it with the naked eye. Everthing lookss to line up great. Won't have time to try it for a while, but I have some 20 gauge 3" turkey loads to try when I get the chance. Billy

Offline rbstern

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 05:25:57 AM »
I bought one a few months ago.  What they don't show in the picture is that there is a mount welded to the barrel.  The mount acts as a receiver for the included Weaver style scope rail and Williams Fire Sight.   The mount was the part that was misaligned on my barrel.  It was so far out of allignment that I question whether any optics would have enough adjustment to compensate.  Maybe with some Millet windage adjustable type rings.  My front sight was in the correct position. 

I used a Dremmel wheel to cut the welds and remove the mount.  I still have to refinish the barrel.  I'm probably going to set it up as a single front bead, get a full or mod choke to go along with the turkey choke that came with it, and use it for turkey hunting and trap shooting.  Aside from the misalignment defect, it's a very nice barrel with beautiful machining inside.

Offline Tombo64

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:40:28 AM »
Hi, it took awhile, but I finally shot the cheap 20 gauge barrel from Bergara several times. It fires alright, but just about every time the action sticks, and is hard to open. Also, I can just make out a small pin hole in the primer after the empty shell is removed. Does this sound like a defect with the barrel? I've never had that happen before. I've tried a couple of different brands of shotshells; Remington, Winchester. Also, tried both 2 3/4" and 3" shells; same result. Any opinions or suggestions about what's happening?