Author Topic: SBR Dahlgren  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: SBR Dahlgren
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2010, 07:33:35 AM »
Frank, Thank you very kindly for the gracious offer of your tools, very unexpected and generous.  I feel that this is something I had better have done for me by someone who has a clue (not me) what they are doing in metalwork.
Dominic is right on the mark as usual, 1/8" thickness liner, no sign of how it's secured that I recognize.  Since this is intended for someone else to use, I want it to be safe as well as fun to use.

This is from the SBR Catalog 2006 - 2007:
 "All barrels are poured solid and drilled. With the exception of mortars, iron barrels are fitted with steel bore sleeves breeched with welded steel plugs. Wall thickness of the sleeve up through 1-¼" bores is 1/8". From 1-½" bores up through 2-¾", the wall thickness is 1/4". Wall thickness of the 3" bores is 3/8", and over that, 7/16". For sleeving, bores are drilled and inspected inside, and then fitted with seemless steel tubing, bonded in place. Mortars are properly chambered."

"The result is the excellent concentricity allowed by drilling, step-by-step observation of the process, an absence of core pins buried in or sticking through the casting, the reinforcement of sleeving, and a straight and mirror-smooth bore undisturbed by heat distortion or other factors. Superior appearance of castings is another benefit of pouring solid, since no air or other matter is trapped in the center of the molds to act unfavorably on the metal during pouring."

I don't usually say anything till I have it in hand, but it recently came about that one of these scale IX-inch Dahlgrens became available to me, so the price has been agreed to, and the deal has been cast; now all that's needed is a little faith that in a week or so I'll be able to start measuring the barrel for the wooden Marsilly carriage I intend to mount it on. One of the things that I plan on doing is putting a bouche in the 'side' vent so that no water seeps in between the steel/iron surfaces.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »
John, are you saying you ar getting IX Dahlgren?!  Cool!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »
BoomJ,
Please help me out.  What is a "bouche"?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 01:30:24 PM »
Zulu,

A threaded vent liner.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2010, 01:36:05 PM »
So,
I guess you drill the existing vent out and thread the new hole.  Then you manufacture a new copper vent that is threaded and just screw it in?  How do you manufacture the new vent?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2010, 06:27:28 PM »
Little seacoast, just lending a friendly helping hand. But you are right as it will be used by someone else and you won't have any control over the useage of the dalgren.. Frank

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 06:39:08 AM »
I have a possible solution for this problem. It's not the best solution, but it doesn't not involve changing the gun.  

I have a can of about 60 steel balls of .937 diameter if you are interested in them. I might be able to get more. If you are interested in them drop me a PM.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 06:47:05 AM »
Congratulations BoomJ on finding one so quickly!  I have elected to purchase a mold in 0.982" from Cannonmike for this barrel rather than have it altered. I know that's tighter than recommended but the balls should cast a little smaller. Maybe we can get together and cast some ammo @ Floyd if you are coming.  
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »
Thanks, LS; I've been interested in these SBR Dahlgrens ever since I saw a photo of Cpt Ed's mounted on a fine looking wood Marsilly carriage, (that I think was made by sponsor Duck Island Cannon Works) that he posted a few years back. Hopefully this barrel will be in my hands by the end of this coming week, and then I'll start thinking on the Marsilly carriage I want to make for it. I'm not going to be able to make it to Floyd this time around, but I am going to send you a PM for some info on the mold you ordered (if you'd be so kind).

I got curious about the sizes of ball bearings that would be available for this gun, and a .91 caliber brass barrel naval gun that I've also got to find projos for; Cpt Ed & Intoodeep told me about a place where you can get lead sinker balls in many sizes, but if you wanted to fire lighter balls you could go with bearings. I only made a brief search, and know nothing about prices, (I'd guess expensive) but they do offer many different sizes. On Monday I'll call this place and maybe a few others to get some prices, and also find out about quantity. I'd think that the semi-precision balls in carbon steel would work fine. BALL BEARINGS