Author Topic: Carriage and elevation mechanism for a cannon thunder golf ball howitzer  (Read 1015 times)

Offline fat tony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I have one of the Cannon thunder short golf ball howitzers, I am making my own carriage for it, I expect to make the bearings for the cannon axles out of split hot rolled steel bars clamped together and drilled in my drill press as soon as I can rig up some pulleys and belts to reduce the speed of the drill press to around 200 rpm or so for a Silver & Deming bit. I expect to use maple for the wood parts, for the wheels I was leaining towards getting someone to turn them for me again out of hot rolled plate. I want to make an elevating mechanism with a threaded trunnion that fits in a trunnion block at the breech end with a threaded rod and a handwheel, if you know these types of cannons, they have a flat breech, so I guess some sort of machined cup type arrangement would be the way to go. I have not so much as drilled the touch hole so I am not even close to firing it. This howitzer has a reduced diameter powder chamber, but for some reason the guy started drillling the powder chamber bigger and stopped about 1/4 of the way down the powder chamber. I was thinking of using some sort of electric match with a hollow point that pierces the charge bag - still have not figured how to make the charge bag/cannon ball unit.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

John Diefenbaker, July 1, 1960

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Cannon thunder sure makes a tight fitting bore. Make sure you clean that bore extremely well between shots.  I would not even consider using the steel golf balls.

You might find it useful to visit our Reference stickies at the top of the forum and reading the post on how to make cannon cartridges, quill and slomatch.