Author Topic: Deer Sighting Survey  (Read 715 times)

Offline Hunter71

• Trade Count: (0)
Deer Sighting Survey
« on: October 06, 2003, 02:46:31 AM »
Hey guys, I haven't been here for some time but my personal project deer sighting survey is up and running again. Please take a few minutes to fill out your sightings so far this year. You can view the results from the past two years with graphs for moon position and phase. This is a personal sight without advertisers or anything to keep you from coming back here. The survey is quick and doesn't require any personal information. The survey is at www.thehunterseye.com  please feel free to browse the information on there, it is free to whoever wants to look, I only ask that you submit a survey form once in a while to help with the project.
A sample graph looks like this

Thanks,
Johnnie
My hunt club's website www.stillhuntclub.com

Offline jhm

Deer Sighting Survey
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 03:22:15 AM »
Hunter 71 :  This is something I think will be of assistance to all hunters it gives all of us something to actually look at, and takes the camp fire tales out of actual counting, I hope to be able to add several sightings this year and will be looking for the feedback, thanks  Jim Messer

Offline Hunter71

Deer Sighting Survey
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 01:46:05 PM »
Thanks guys,  this is my third year of research.  I post this message on as many boards as possible to generate interest.  I began the project to see if I could determine the validity of the claims of the solunar tables.  Also, I wanted to see what, if any, influence the moon has on deer movement.  So far, the data does not support theories of hunting ever being more productive at times other than morning and afternoon.  There is no doubt that you can hunt at midday and probably see deer, however, the odds are much greater at dawn and dusk.  Also, it is becoming obvious that the moon phase appears to have a greater influence than position.  However, a complete analysis hasn't been finished.  Hopefully, after this season, I'll be able to add it all together.
Now the answer to the most commonly asked question, yes the graphs are normalized for how many hunters are in the woods at each time interval.  For example, where the graph shows that 10% of hunters saw deer at noon, that is 10% of those reporting to have been hunting at noon.  That is not 10% of the overall number of submissions.

Thanks,
Johnnie

Offline Hunter71

Deer Sighting Survey
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 12:36:37 AM »
Hey Guys,
I just wanted to give this a little bump to remind you to enter this past weekend.  Thanks for the help,
Johnnie

Offline Danny Boy

Deer Sighting Survey
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 04:54:31 AM »
Johnnie:

Great work.  

I will maximize my time by focusing on ealry morning and late day deer hunting this year.   :-)  :-)  :-)

Cheers!

Danny Boy

Offline Hunter71

Deer Sighting Survey
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 04:02:02 AM »
One more little bump.

Thanks,
Johnnie