Author Topic: Inspiration for Bowling Ball Mortar Builders / Different Styles  (Read 1420 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
     There are many styles of Bowling Ball Mortars.  These were the ones we spotted at the Casper, Wyoming Cannon Shoot in 2005.  Although they have no '1898 or Before Cannon Rule' there that we are aware of, you can't find even one gas cylinder BB Mortar there on the line.  We don't know why, there were lots of farmers/ranchers in attendance, guys very familiar with welding and metal fabrication, but not one gas cylinder mortar.

Mike and I hope that those of you interested in this unique type cannon will be inspired by the variety of styles we found in Wyoming.  Enjoy the pics.

Mike and Tracy

Here is a very nice looking BB Mortar.  Just the right type of project for those woodworkers among you.

It took a couple shots to bury the wheels on this BB Mortar, but once this was done accurate fire was possible.

The farthest one shown came from Nebraska as I recall and did quite well at 400 yards.  It's total weight was 600 Lbs., good for stability!

A BB Howitzer!  This gun was crewed by a woman who was a real pro when it came to sponging and loading.  Look at her implements on the rack.  This gun was quite accurate too in the windy conditions and beat some of the high arcing mortars with heavier loads that zipped the BBs over to the 400 yards target quickly and by avoiding some of that wind drift that increases with longer 'air time'.

This was the first time that we displayed our 1/6 scale 100 Pdr. Parrott Rifle and we had lots of fun answering questions.  The smallest gun there was a 1.5" rifle on a naval carriage.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline born-to-hunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • .:Hunter:.
Re: Inspiration for Bowling Ball Mortar Builders / Different Styles
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 03:00:09 PM »
Those BB mortars look pretty cool I would like to watch someone launch one in the air :)
Look a distraction!!!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »

This was the first time that we displayed our 1/6 scale 100 Pdr. Parrott Rifle and we had lots of fun answering questions.  The smallest gun there was a 1.5" rifle on a naval carriage.

M&T ....... Is that a high polish?  or is that c...c....c....chrome? ???
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »
This is what need to be thinking about  .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »
OR was it this

Hows that wood gluing coming along ....?

Poor Mike .......they is no way that you still breath gods sweet air if he knows about this ....
and he will .  ;D ask me how I know ?

Gary

eta    "This was the first time that we displayed our 1/6 scale 100 Pdr. Parrott Rifle and we had lots of fun answering questions.  The smallest gun there was a 1.5" rifle on a naval carriage."

What about your Parrott ? ....you need some sawdust in your nose or you will soon become ........well ......well

like a book on  shelf .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 06:14:37 PM »
goodnight sweet nurse . ;D  ;D  ;D emotes emotes  ::)

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »
M&T ....... Is that a high polish?  or is that c...c....c....chrome?
I think that's in the white.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 08:25:12 PM »
     Right on the mark, Soot!  All of these seacoast rifle parts were at a final level of polish, 320, grit and ready for the professional plater's application of black oxide, commonly called "gun blue".  Gunsmiths who do lots of polish, then bluing process work commonly say the final polish parts are, "in the white", machinists, not so much because most or their parts these days are non-ferrous, rather than steel.  Only ferrous parts at a level of final polish are said to be "in the white".

KABAR2,    Chrome???   Allen,   Paaaleeeze!!  The only chromed cannon we ever saw was Tim's in Floyd, VA and it was not that automotive chrome with a super shiny look; it looked like a brushed nickle finish, lustrous, but NOT shiny.  If we wanted a high polish chromed object we'd buy a '57 Chevy bumper!! ;D ;D

Tracy and Mike

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:47:40 AM »
Okay Mike and Tracy, tell me....

I know you guys strive for the utmost in detail in the guns you build.

I understand why you don't paint the wood...some carriages were painted and some were not.

Why black oxide finish on your guns, surely those behemoths were not black oxide finished, where they?

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 06:29:36 AM »
     Doulble D,   Good question, what amazes us is why has this never been asked before?  Who knows.  The answer is very simple, you can have the traditional black color on the tube in two ways.  You can have black oxide/gun blue or you can have a good quality custom auto paint.  Both are black and the sheen can be controlled by polishing or by the type of paint (flat, semi-gloss or glossy).  Being committed to the democratic process and valuing customer delight above all else, we left it up to them.  They all chose the no-chip, no-fade, gun blue each and every time.

And, the reason we take them to a professional plater, rather than a custom gunsmith, is because these tubes have so much more metal than any shotgun or rifle has, that even the gunsmiths with the larger tanks cannot heat that mass up to proper temp before the bluing salts are seriously out of balance with the water content, resulting in many other colors, BUT NOT BLACK.  The plater we take them to has been doing black oxide for 40 years and his tank has 100 times the volume of the largest gunsmith tank.  He has an overhead crane too, and to this date has not screwed up one single part we have entrusted to him.

Why?  Now you know.

Tracy and Mike

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 07:53:13 AM »
  The only chromed cannon we ever saw was Tim's in Floyd, VA and it was not that automotive chrome with a super shiny look; it looked like a brushed nickle finish, lustrous, but NOT shiny.  If we wanted a high polish chromed object we'd buy a '57 Chevy bumper!! ;D ;D
Tracy and Mike

But I had TWO chromed mortars there!   One was Armalite (industrial hard chrome - the 4.5") and one that was from the speed shop - bright chrome (the beer-can caliber mortar).

Pix follow.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 07:55:42 AM »
I didn't ask before, because I was being polite.   Yes, me polite...not an oxymoron.

Having blued a lot of guns in my day, I fully understood why a plater. My 6" x 6" x 48 inch tanks would hardly have worked.  

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 07:57:09 AM »

KABAR2,    Chrome???   Allen,   Paaaleeeze!!  The only chromed cannon we ever saw was Tim's in Floyd, VA and it was not that automotive chrome with a super shiny look; it looked like a brushed nickle finish, lustrous, but NOT shiny.  If we wanted a high polish chromed object we'd buy a '57 Chevy bumper!! ;D ;D

Tracy and Mike

M&T,

;D I thought it was a high polish, just wanted to make sure..... If you noticed I had trouble even typing the word......
I didn't think either of you could do that the a precision piece of art like that,

no matter how much more the customer wanted to pay.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:45 AM »
I think those tanks of mine where 6" x 6" x 36...since I cut and welded them out of a sheet of black iron.