Author Topic: Lee 240 grain 41 mag mold  (Read 2232 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
Lee 240 grain 41 mag mold
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
I won an auction today for a 240 grain Lee mold for my 41 magnum. The seller said the Lee model # is 90332.  I wanted a heavier one than the current production molds which are 195 and 210 grains (speaking of Lee of course). Does anyone else have this mold? How do you like it. Thanks for looking. Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Lee 240 grain 41 mag mold
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:24:28 PM »
had one years ago and if memory serves me it didnt impress me much. If it would have i guess id still have it.
blue lives matter

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
I have one and have cast a few bullet with it. My alloy was  pretty soft and my seater would bugger up the nose. My loads shot ok but since they were soft I kept loads light. With harder alloy I think it would be a good game bullet. But I'm a bit lazy and tend to avoid casting - I have over 1000 factory cast and more jacketed that I use. I also have the .41 238 Lee round nose. Was planning on using it in my Marlin rifle but the nose may be a bit too pointed and I hesitate to use them in the tube magazine. Haven't cast many of them either.  I'm pretty much a novice caster but I once the blocks were warm it seemed pretty easy to make good bullets.  Don't know how the would hold up to heavy use.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:25:17 AM »
Have it, tried it, don't use it but the mold I have is in rough shape.  Just wasn't that impressed with accuracy I was getting. I have a 230 grn RFN that I like much better. Works great in my BH but can't use it in my Taurus cause it is too long except when I load it in special length cases. Don't let that discourage you though. Every gun is different and you may find it to be a keeper. I try every mold I can . If they don't work they don't get used (untill a new gun comes along).
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:56:38 PM »
Well I cast my first bullets with this mold this morning before work. Actually I cast my first bullets period. I was happy with the results as I turned out with 30%-40% good bullets on my very first try and I think I know why the ones that didn't turn out good. I'll post a range report in a week or so when my shooting buddy and I make it to the range. The 240 grain mold makes a good looking bullet IMO. Thanks, Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:34:51 PM »
Good for you! Yeah I think it looks like it could be a very good hunting bullet cast of the right alloy.  I like that it doesn't have a gas check to deal with. Keep us posted. I might need to drag mine out and get it going. One thing, I have a small Lee pot and the lead drains out fast filling that big cavity - compared to 357 bullets.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline grendelbane

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 01:26:43 PM »
The 240 grain Lee is what I started casting with back in the 1980s.  It was OK, but I really prefer the Lyman 410459.

If you want a heavier bullet, it is about the most economical choice out there.

Mine did have the advantage that with the alloy I was using, it would drop bullets that were .411, and did not require sizing.  All I did at that time was pan lube them.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 02:46:07 PM »
Well I cast my first bullets with this mold this morning before work. Actually I cast my first bullets period. I was happy with the results as I turned out with 30%-40% good bullets on my very first try and I think I know why the ones that didn't turn out good. I'll post a range report in a week or so when my shooting buddy and I make it to the range. The 240 grain mold makes a good looking bullet IMO. Thanks, Charlie

Years ago my buddy bought a 240 gr mould as he had a Ruger revolver & I had a T/C Contender. We used from 8 ~ 10 gr of Unique and it worked very well. It turned out to be the best cast bullet we found for a 41 Mag. Too bad I couldn't talk him out of it!

:'( :'( :'(

Offline raincrow

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 04:51:26 PM »
Have one and use it in blackhawks and a marlin.  when driving hard in marlin i use a neco p wad.  with its long caliber diameter it works well if your cyclinder is a little out of time as its well up in the forcing cone and still in end of cyclinder.  my loads are 1200 in 4 5/8 and 1650 in marlin.  shoots thru most things....
i shoot therefore i am