Author Topic: Good Reads, Post Your Favorite.  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Good Reads, Post Your Favorite.
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 06:08:24 AM »
It's interesting to note how different people develop and change personal habits or preferences; when I was younger, fiction and the novel were king, but now generally speaking everything I read is nonfiction.

There are still catalogs available from South Bend Replicas, Inc. for $10.00.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 07:49:57 AM »
It's interesting to note how different people develop and change personal habits or preferences; when I was younger, fiction and the novel were king, but now generally speaking everything I read is nonfiction.

Good point John.  Since I was a teenager it has been my practice to read a few pages of some book or another every night before I go to sleep.  Usually fiction, rarely nonfiction...  

Non fiction is for serious reading.  Currently, in any given day I may read any number of books related to the Martini or the shooting of the Martini--Mann and Greener foremost, with Skennerton always at hand.  I think like you John, when a question comes up on the boards I dig in my library to see if I can find the answer.  This might require reading passages in several different books to come up with answer.  Serious cover to cover non fiction is usually reserved for the throne room.  Current reading in that quiet room is Lt. Col Mike Snook's How can man die Better about the battle at Isandlwana.

Sitting beside me here at the Computer are Skennerton and Siekonic.

Terry Johnston's historical fiction of Western American is highly recommended.  Not often do you find as accurately narrated fiction, carrying extensive foot noting.  His depiction of the Battle of Big hole is incredible. The Montana Univerity at Bozeman's has Johnstons work on the required reading list.

When I lived in Virginia for a few years I read Bernard Cornwell's Civil war series.  It was so interesting to read about the battle fields and geography that drove by every day on the way to work.

Wilbur Smith's African stories take some liberties with history, but living in South Africa, I had a better understanding of what he was trying to convey. Walking the land he was describing but the story in a whole other light.

The best for me of the historical fiction O'Brien, Kent, Donachie, Forester, Lambdin and Connery.  Naval fiction in the day of sail.  I have to add Poyer's civil war trilogy to this list.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 10:18:45 AM »
DD,
Do you mean Wilbur Smith's African stories?  I have read everything he has written.
I also have read all of Bernard Cornwell's books.  His Napoleon War  "Sharp" series are amoung my favorites.
If you like seafaring books, try "The Manila Galleon" by Van Wyck Mason.  One of the best books I have ever read.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 10:53:54 AM »
DD,
Do you mean Wilbur Smith's African stories?  I have read everything he has written.
I also have read all of Bernard Cornwell's books.  His Napoleon War  "Sharp" series are amoung my favorites.
If you like seafaring books, try "The Manila Galleon" by Van Wyck Mason.  One of the best books I have ever read.
Zulu

Yes Smith, Wilbur Green was a personality in Port Orford.

Offline Asron87

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 05:08:54 PM »
I'm so backed up on my reading list that fiction books are going to have to wait but I will keep them in mind. Are there any cannon books out there that have a listing of cannons listed alphabetically by name and has a picture with a short description? I suppose you could call it a cannon dictionary. 

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 04:45:38 AM »
Lindsay Publications is a good source of old time knowledge that you probably thought was long forgotten.
They have reprinted books on hand scraping, casting, shop practice and more subjects than I could possibly list here.
The free catalog alone is enough to make a real man drool like an idiot.
Need to know how to cast a fresh set of babbitt bearings in place? It's in there, and about a zillion other things you didn't think were even possible anymore.
Undoubtedly one of the finest collections of old reprinted technical books available anywhere, you wont be disappointed.
Lindsay Publications website is Click Here.
Free catalog link Click Here.
Partial listing Click Here.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 08:28:36 AM »
Are there any cannon books out there that have a listing of cannons listed alphabetically by name and has a picture with a short description? I suppose you could call it a cannon dictionary. 

Asron87,

Not that I know of; if an artillery reference book like you describe was ever published it would be a massive work and very expensive. There are a couple of members here that might know of a reference book of this type that is used in academic circles.   
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.