Author Topic: Deer calls in late season?  (Read 3858 times)

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
Deer calls in late season?
« on: December 14, 2002, 04:51:03 PM »
Anyone care to give their opinions on the use of deer calls in the late season. I just obtained a Primos Hands Free Buck and Doe call for a gift. So, far I have been hunting deer with the bow, then gun and now the muzzleloader is to open to the end of the year.

This call can be adjusted to make a wide variety of sounds. From doe in estrus to mature buck grunt.

Would I be wasting my time using this? Would it work? Would it actually scare deer off? I'd like to get some opinions.

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
deer calls
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2002, 05:42:08 AM »
I have used them and know I have called deer in with them on the farm sometimes maybe out of curisoty maybe, try it you may bring something in on the late rut.  I also have a fawn bleet and when you blow it the doe will show up from all directions. :D   JIM

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2002, 05:51:50 PM »
I always try to have at least one deer call in my pocket or around my neck. Preferably a grunt call of some sorts. I have had limited experience with the can type calls. My brother on the other hand already has several good bucks to show for with the cans use. I've noticed that they seem to be productive only during the first week of the rut after that they seem to spook deer. My favorite call is a grunt call. I usually just give some soft "contact" grunts. These are social calls that just say "hey I'm a deer and I'm over here" These work well with smaller deer and doe's who don't feel intimidated or threatened by soft calling yet it seems to be enough to get their interest and bring them over to investigate. I've used these soft grunts from early bow season all the way to the end of the late winter season with good sucess. Good luck....

Frog  :D
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 07:53:43 AM »
Like Frog I always have a grunt call with me and use it only for contact grunts. It has brought me many a deer I'd not otherwise have killed to include my first bow killed buck and my largest buck to date. Lots of others have fallen to it also. Mine is a Primos that is many many years old. It has been broken and patched back together and still brings them in.

So far I've never blind called a deer to me. BUT if the deer is in sight or hearing of me and moving in such a way I'm not gonna get a shot I use and and more often than not the deer will stop and head my way. I think I can remember two deer that ran away at the sound. One was about 30 yaards from me but getting no closer on the angle he was moving on a bow hunt. At the grunt he looked right at me and ran. I think he was just too close and picked me up from it. The other I have no idea why it acted as it did as it was in thick stuff and couldn't see or smell me but at the first grunt it went into over drive.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 08:32:42 AM »
:biggun: A couple weeks ago I went hunting with my buddy in Wisconsin's late  muzzleloader season. We hunted farnland behind his house. After an hour I shot an anterless deer. When I walked up to it I heard my buddy shoot about 500 yards away. I gutted the deer and heard him shoot again. I sat back down to wait for the end of shooting time and heard him shoot again. When shooting hours where over he walked up and said he shot 3 deer. Three deer came in  and he heard me shoot. Then he shot the doe.He called on his bleat call and call one back and shot that one. He then dropped his possibles bag from his treestand and had to climb down to retrieve it. When he got back up in his stand he called again and called in two nubbies. He shot one and then he was out of tags.
He used his rubber band elk call from E.L.K. ink . He's said he's done the same thing bowhunting a few times. I use one too and have called elk and coyotes with it. I always carry a gunt call but the situation has to be right for it to work. Make what you want out of this story.

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 12:05:55 PM »
I've used mine several times to "Blind" call to a deer. Have you ever been sitting in a stand and you knew the stand was in a good location and that it was approaching the time in which you knew you should be at least seeing something but for some reason or another you not seeing anything. This is the time when I give those soft contact grunts. It doesn't work everytime but it works enough times each year that it'll put meat in the freezer. It's already woked twice this year and with enough of season left that I'm going to try for three... Good Luck!

Frog :D
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES