Author Topic: New tube, sorta unique looking, what do you think?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: New tube, sorta unique looking, what do you think?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 07:27:21 AM »
Ive never tried any absinth , just drinking rom or vodka
well today Im almost not drink any alcohol at all , just enjoy making some wine every now and then

I got to confess that I actually sold them  ;D
it was very high prices on the 17 th century stuff some years ago

but it would have been good for cannon making as it is tin on the inside , just melt it and you got bronze .

ok I have been melting lots of semi antique tin stuff
I remember when I showed gary a few pictures of some garbage I was melting down
he screamed loud then   ;D
just melted 2,5 lbs a week ago again , so now its ingots

I got a friend who runs a hughe fleemarket in his yard during the summer , everything he find thats impossible to sell I buy from him cheap and melt for future use
its a good source for cheap tin , all swedish tin products must be stamped in the bottom with control stamps to be sold legal .

because of that Im 100% sure that its pure tin and not an alloy .

cant tell about the still as I havent seen it , but in those countries where its legal to make your own alcohol I suppose that there is lots of strange stuff used to build them .
in sweden it isnt legal , but lots of people still makes it by themself .
its fun to look at youtube to see what models some people use  ;D

Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »
Now hold there  :o when you say garbage ... thats not quite true ..to me anyway . You had a big bag of plates and surgar bowls , cups of this sort or that .

At first glance they looked pretty nice but were all bent or crunched one way or another ,to keep from being reused ..I guess .

Like a cash for clunkers deal ? :o

When you told me is was ileagle to sell anything made B4 1952 iirc I felt a lot better .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 12:40:14 AM »
Gary, all these Northern European types are a bit strange , I carried a bent tinned copper coffee pot back to UK from Vladivostok , Dragon was gonna trash it............in my scrap bin now...............will be of use one day. Had it about 10 years ;D   it don't eat anything.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 09:59:44 AM »
some was bent when I got them , but lots wasnt . I jumped on them to be a little easier to store and to melt
those who wasnt bent was engraved , its impossible to sell something with an engraving saying happy birthday 60 years and a name and date on them
so its just tin scrap

yeah we got polar bears walking in the streets here  ;D ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 09:01:07 AM »
Wolff,

This isn't meant as a put down of your barrel, (because I happen to like the barrel) but as perhaps a more accurate description of it. I don't think it's an antique; I'd say that it was made by a hobby machinist circa the mid 1900's. It's also not that unique a profile; all these barrels I'm posting pics of were probably made in this same general time period. Some folks call these models fantasy or improvised cannons, because they're not modeled after a specific historic artillery piece, even though there are real cannons that look similar (the experimental American gun already mentioned, along with some British Armstrong, Whitworth, and Blakely cannons from the 19th century).
As a rule, scale model reproductions of real cannons are going to be worth more than this type of model, and the more exacting and accurate in detail the craftsmen are in reproducing the original, the greater their worth is going to be.
As for not altering it in any way because that's the way it was intended by the maker to look, well that's certainly one way to look at things, and here's another: My personal opinion is that if I can possibly improve upon the appearance of the piece, and/or increase its value, then I'm game to go for it. If RSW are indeed the initials of the maker, then perhaps RSW is already up in the great machine shop in the sky, or more hopefully he's retired and poolside with a cold one in his hand contemplating a shapely bottom move away from him, or a beautiful top getting larger as it nears him, but whatever the case may be, he is in all probability not thinking about this barrel he made 50 odd years ago.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline wolff

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »
Boom J,
Thanks very much for your input!  (and in no way did I feel any negative vibes ;))
     Great pics of those cannons, too, thanks for the examples -- they're very similar indeed to my tube.
From the research I've done too, I'd also place it around 1940s to 1950s , maybe it could squeak in at 1930s...
     Sounds  as though we share similar thoughts about improving designs -- One of the noted aspects of a "Virgo" is always looking to build a better mousetrap;  plus I'm a Leftie, so it's a rare day when I find a tool or an instruction sheet, for example, that I'm satisfied with.
      An interesting aside:  I've been part of a group, called "Dremel Link" for several years now.  The Dremel factory folks come to Palm Springs once or twice a year with some new or proposed stuff; they are terrific people, and they want honest opinions and detailed feedback. (What's surprising is out of a group of 20-25, I'm usually the  only guy using a Dremel for metal work ???  (I'm pretty sure they have more groups, so I hope there's some metalworkers in other states.)
     Since my brother's initials are "RSW" - I'm thinking to build a neat carrige and give it to him for his Birthday.  And since the tube's not a copy of a historic pattern, there's less to stress over it looking "wrong" with a unique design.

OH, should you have more pics of cannnons and carriages of this type, could I impose upon you to either post pics or a link to them, or PM?

Thanks again, and Regards, 

Bradley

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2010, 08:57:17 AM »
Bradley,
I went through a good portion of saved artillery photos, and these are the ones that most resemble your barrel, the vast majority of the pics that I save are of historic artillery pieces. You'll notice the camera in the lower right hand side of the photos; these were all items on eBay that I originally saved because at the time I was interested in bidding on them.

I agree with you that you have the option of going in any direction you want to in choosing a carriage type: Field carriage, naval, seacoast, garrison, etc., so google different types of carriages for ideas, and when you decide on a general concept I and other members can post photos for you work off of.

I also often use my Dremel to work on metals.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2010, 04:18:53 PM »

I do too and I would complain of the quality of ball bearing used in the Dremels.  They are relatively high speed tools and I have not been impressed with bearing life.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline wolff

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2010, 05:51:54 PM »

I do too and I would complain of the quality of ball bearing used in the Dremels.  They are relatively high speed tools and I have not been impressed with bearing life.

Dang,

That's not good :-[   On the plus side, Dremel tools have some long warranty periods, and they stand behind it, too.  I would ask that you write them about the bearing failures (don't know what tool(s) you're referring to, but regardless...) let them know what you use it for, etc...  If the tool's only reasonably past the warranty period, tell `em you want some satisfaction!  And, if you're interested in participating in that "Dremel Link" thing, ask if they have one near you - it is a unique and rewarding experience!

I still have my 1st moto-tool - given to me when I was a wee lad of only 17!  True, I had it rebuilt a few years ago -- turns out that Mr. Dremel's grandson, Rob Dremel, does the repairs for the West Coast and lives here in Palm Springs :)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »
True, I had it rebuilt a few years ago -- turns out that Mr. Dremel's grandson, Rob Dremel, does the repairs for the West Coast and lives here in Palm Springs. :)

Interesting.  I am in Chino, CA, only a relatively short drive to Palm Springs.  Also, I didn't know they rebuilt them.  I could send it in and let them take the old bearings out for their own analysis.  Got an address?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2010, 11:52:16 PM »

Me too; got my 1st one from Dad as a Christmas present in ~1975. First thing he told me was "Let the tool do the work (don't side-load it too much). If you force it, the bearings will go out." I took his advice and it lasted through a couple of brush replacements and ~20 years of moderate use. I have another that's been okay for about ten years but I don't use it all that much since I got the Bridgeport.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2010, 12:13:22 PM »
I was given my first Dremel in the mid 80's by a cousin that I'm sure put it through some paces doing minor repairs on pianos (he tuned and repaired pianos as a second income source for at least a decade). After reading Victor's post I was curious, so I asked the cuz when he got it, and he said in 69 or 70. I still have it and it still works, but if it's run for a few minutes it gets hot enough where it's uncomfortable to hold, so I'll where a glove. I still use this old one when polishing brass, because of the weak torque if its pressed to hard it will stop, so it won't form depressions in the metal; I use my newer model for other work.