Poll

CCW and training

None required in my state for permit and none taken.
3 (18.8%)
Cource required in order to get permit is the only training I have recieved.
4 (25%)
I target shoot but do not train for SD senarios.
1 (6.3%)
Have taken some self defence training cources in addition to any required to get permit.
3 (18.8%)
I take additional SD training courses when ever possible and practice "real world" shooting senarios.
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: CCW training  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
CCW training
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:01:57 AM »
It is a common belief (maybe fact) that a very large percentage of concealed weapons permit holders receive little if any training in the use of their weapons in a real world self defense situations. Nor do they have any training in what to do after using a weapon in self defense (i.e.; What to do, say not say, etc. after the SHTF).

Personally I have studied a bunch of SD training videos but have not had live instruction other than the basic safety course and live fire qualification required to get my permit.  I would like to take additional courses but finances preclude that at this time.

I also practice real world scenarios with my SD weapons at the range based on the information I have gleaned from the videos.  Drawing and shooting from a standing position, seated position, Drawing and firing on multiple targets, shooting one hand strong hand, one hand weak hand, clearing drills, tactical reloading drills, etc.   

Tell us about what you do.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: CCW training
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 04:35:54 AM »
Honestly I haven't done anything. I live in Illinois so no conceal carry here, but I have a Utah ccw permit and I can carry wherever they recognize it. I only took the course I needed to get the permit. No range time required just a class which was only three guys to one instructor and about two hours long.

I do practice with my S&W 642 when I get the opportunity but the indoor range I go to does not allow rapid fire and the stalls don't make it easy to practice real life scenarios.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 07:08:41 AM »
Ohio requires you to take a 12 hour class to get your CCW permit , 10 of it is class room were they cover everything from basic gun safety to the legal aspects of a SD shooting , the other 2 are basic range time to show that you know how to load & shoot the weapon .

On top of that I have taken 2 advanced pistol courses , I also shoot just about every weekend with a buddy who is the range and Qua, officer for a local PD , My BIL is also a instructor with a OPOTA ( Ohio Police Officer Training Acc. ) cert. so he helps me some too .

If I ever need to shoot in self defence , I want to be the one walking away !

stimpy

PS - Also did 4 years in the USMC as a MP .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline dieselman

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:21:16 AM »
I want to know everything about the weapon(s) I carry, how they work, shoot, in cold and hot weather. I had a 100yd range here at the house and that was fine for rifles and what not but, not good enough for what I wanted. With all the hills and stiff we have here on our 11ac I planed out a run and gun course with 14 diff target locations any where from 5ft to 40yds in range. So sitting, standing, laying down, with cover and with out it's about 40yd's long. Not everyone has the land to do this so what I did before we lived in the country is go buy an air soft gun or bb gun (I think it best they are not batt powered, man cycle of weapon will help with FTF drills)  close to the size and shape to your carry gun and set up in the back yard and give em heck, it's not the same but the drills used for muzzle safty and sight pic, trigger pull are the same, and shooting pos are the same, no reason for people not to practice or train them selfs what to and how to do it.

Offline Brett

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 09:27:37 AM »
Dieselman, can I come over and play in your back yard.

Offline dbriannelson

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 01:28:17 PM »
I clicked "None Required," as there is none in California.  But I don't have a CA permit either. 

I do have Nevada, which requires classroom training and range qualification, Utah, which requires classroom and "demonstrated familiarity," Oregon, which requires training but doesn't specify anything special (I used the NV certificate), and Florida, which was happy with my Marine Corps DD 214 showing years of handgun "Expert" qualification.

That said, I visit the range two or three times a week when not traveling, and wring out one of my carry handguns about once a week.  I do not do anything beyond formal off-hand shooting at 25 yards, however.

-Don 

Semper Fi.  (1803/0210)

Offline LocnLod

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Brett, I think you're way ahead of the curve in what you're already doing.  I think that the majority of carriers don't practice much if any.  I think that a majority of carriers get their ideas about how to protect yourself with a firearm from non-instructive TVs and movies.

If you can't afford a class do what you're doing and read some books, check out some DVDs.  There are a couple of outdoor channels that have shows like Personal Defense TV and they have the experts give out pointers and things you can practice at the range.

I have taken 4 levels of defensive handgun classes to learn more and practice more and I shoot IDPA.  If you can, go to a couple of IDPA matches with your defensive gun.  It's geared more towards self-defense and gets you shooting under some stress as there's a timer and people watching you.  But don't mistake it for training.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »
From the time I was about ten until I was an adult pistol training was mandantory at our house.  Pop insisted we shoot almost weekly, and we practiced snap shot defensive measures until we could consistently shoot two torso one head from any position, even moving.  Having stated all this, doing so in real life would be something completely different.  Would I revert to  training?  Don't know.  I still shoot but not on a course, and do not consider myself more than just adequate with a handgun.  Could I pull the trigger on another human?  I think so if necessary, but I've never done it so can't say positively.  If it involved my wife and kids, without question but other wise????  Am I skilled enough....yep, but I'm also 57 years old and arthritic.  All in all I would rather have shotgun :'(
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 01:45:08 AM »
Texas doesn't require a hand-gun training course or firearm safety course--it does require 8 hours of classroom on law.
It requires a basic show me you are proficient with a firearm shooting regiemen.
I like games but the back does not allow that anymore.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline zeke08

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 03:30:57 AM »
I have been able to attend several advance handgun courses through work and try shoot twice a month. All my range time except for qualls are moving and shooting. I practice out to 40yards but all the stats we get from the FBI say most gunfights occur 7 yards and in that's 21 feet pretty nasty up close an personal. I'm from the school of know your firearm better than you know yourself. Practice, practice, practice stoppages, moving and shooting, drawing, and in today's world body armor drills. Something I do when no one is home I turn the tv to a show that has a person that will keep "popping" up and with a UNLOADED weapon I practice drawing and acquiring sight picture stance and trigger control ever time the "bad guy" shows himself it really helps with speed drills and getting that hog leg outta the holster. I also play the what if game constantly because I think a lot of people skip the mental part of gun fighting and that is I will win no matter what cause surviving could mean lying in a vegetative state.
Brett I agree with Locnlod you are ahead of the curve your doing more than most keep up the good work! I can't afford the personal defense classes offered either so I practice with friends!
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline Brett

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 04:20:23 PM »
Interesting. Almost 100 views and only 8 votes/comments.  Someone stated in another thread that this forum has been slow so I thought a poll like this might get the ball rolling.  I also had a genuine interest in what others were doing to sharpen their SD skills.  But apparently no one feels like discussing their training or lack there of.   ???   

To those of you who have responded I say thank you.  :)  At least I know their are eight guys here who would have my back.  ;)  As for the rest of you. :P

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »
I didn't participate in your survey because even though I've been meaning to get my CCL for years now I just never seem to make the time.  Ironically, the passage of Texas' castle doctrine in Sept. '07 took away much of my urgency to get a CCL because the main reason I wanted it was to be able to have protection while in a vehicle.  Because of castle doctrine I can now do that without a CCL.  I still mean to get one, but ........well, you know.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline dieselman

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 04:15:42 PM »
Brett, you can come and play in my side yard (not back) any time you want. After startin it (always changein it around and improving things so don't think it will ever be done) I thought man I'll have people out here all the time wanting to shoot, not really cause most people "don't ever have the time" I make time 5 min or so helps more than one would think... 

Offline kctibs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 12:52:34 AM »
I have sizeable property which allows me to do about whatever whenever I want.  I also have a small course set up to put a person in several shoot positions with unlimited targets situations. So I shoot and practice often from target to real life situations. I practice with my friend who give CCW classes who is local sheriff deputy and retired Special Forces.  So I feel like I keep my skills and weapons well tuned.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 02:12:58 AM »
neu yawk state requires a mandatory training course for a ccw but does not take it beyond that as the politicians are afraid that armed citizens would become too skilled, which would pose a threat to them.  There are exceptions and I believe that military service is one of them.  As for practice - well, some of us practice but many leave their ccws to collect dust in the bottom of a purse or closet.  Many also are completely unaware of their legal standing in other states and leave their firearms at home when they travel without even thinking to see if they can carry legally.  

NRA certified instructors teach the courses; sometimes they bring in local LEOs to scare the crap out fo anyone thinking about using a firearm for self defense - it is part of the ny mindset - yes, you can have one but you'd better not use it.  Firearms are pretty much outlawed in the Sheeple's Republik of Neu Yawk city unless you are someone's useless politician.  jmtcw.

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 02:59:56 AM »
My previous post was done without benefit of an update by me of the laws in NYS.  After visiting www.usacarry.com, it is now evident that some counties MAY require CCW training as opposed to when I received my pistol permit many years ago.  Also, some counties issue for 5 years only while others are lifetime (mine).  This is just further evidence of the continued presence of Democrates ruling the state.  Requirements and rules will get tougher until they are voted out of office and replaced by those supporting the Second Amendment.

oldhunter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 05:56:08 AM »
In Va it depends on location as to what is required. Some places a class others nothing but the fee. I had to take a class . Later I had the chance to take a personal protection trainers class. It was 12 weeks with 4 all day range days. Some of the highlights were working on a hot range, being exposed to peper spray, night shooting, shooting humanoid targets with clothes on , knife defense and use, and such. But the best parts were law and how to be aware of what goes on near you and your home and auto. It is far more important to understand that to win any fight is to survive . And if missing the fight altogather is possible then much the better. We had a lawyer in to go over Va. law and how to word what you say to the operator on a 911 call. What to say to police etc. All in a effort to make the lawyer who defendes you have an easy job.
We also had shooting "events" where you were knocked to the ground while engaging targets. This will keep you looking for other attackers, We used simunitions in live fire engaugements in house clearing etc. In such exersises you learn the value of calling the police to do such work. There was much more involved and alot was on how to teach the class . Best part I can go back for free to get up dates . Did i mention we got to see alot of pictures on gunshot wounds from different weapons , that will open your eyes as to cal and bullet selection. The entire class was geared to working with in the law and avoiding a fight if at all possible.

That is something all gun toters need to understand a gun is a last resort . In many cases if you had been on your toes to start with it would never have been needed.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 08:12:54 AM »
Graduate of Personal Protection Class of 1972-73 Vietnam