Author Topic: .410 Buckshot Range Report  (Read 1968 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
.410 Buckshot Range Report
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:50:53 AM »
About a month ago I bought a M4 American Derringer in 45/410. Played with it some with 45 LC's and #6 birdshot. Wasn't too impressed with the 10 yard accuracy of the 45's and the birdshot would be ok at 10 feet or so. (snake range) I ordered two boxes of Federal Premium 2 1/2 inch 000 buckshot from Midway and had a chance to shoot some of it yesterday. This stuff is advertised as .410 handgun ammo for personal defense and the muzzle velocity is 1200 fps with 4 pellets per shell. It has found a home with me and this gun. I shot from a creek bank that was about 15 feet or so above the water so I could see the pattern in the water. At 20 yards or so the pattern was about a 15 inch circle. At 40 yards or so the pellets were starting to string out a bit. This is from a 4 inch barrel. Conclusion is that if heaven forbid I had to use this gun for defense against 2 legged or 4 legged critters anything inside of 20 yards is in trouble. Anyone interested in this ammo can get more reviews from the Midway site.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: .410 Buckshot Range Report
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 04:16:26 AM »
That does seem like an impressive pattern but I think I'd check penetration before I get too enthused. From that short barrel I think you may find those pellets don't have much punch.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: .410 Buckshot Range Report------- Pic Added
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 04:31:58 AM »
I plan on going to a local range soon and will check the penetration out. The range I patterened it at earlier is long for  2 legged defense so I'll try it at different distances. Also here is a pic of my outfit.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline RB1235

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:34:58 AM »
Not sure on the penetration, but 8 rounds of .38 up blose would be a heavy dose with both barrels. Neat little rig there. Let us know how well it will penetrate please.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 10:04:02 AM »
range to employ a weapon such as yours will most likely be closer
than 20 yds. Probably much closer. It should have no problem
ending the altercation. Very nice setup for carry.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 10:43:08 AM »
Did the penetration test on a piece of 2x8 pressure treated. Range was 7 yards. The group was right at 4 inches. The 2 pellets in the middle cracked the wood and I sat it on it's side for the second pic. Although it looks shallower from the angle of the pic they penetrated approx 1 inch.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 01:30:56 AM »
Pretty impressive.
Gives me a much warmer feeling about this weapon.
Not enough to buy one and fondle it.
would like to shoot same though.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 04:05:04 AM »
I seem to recall reading somewhere that one inch of penetration into pine lumber equates to a "dangerous wound" but considering that a .22 rimfire will zip right through I don't call that very good penetration at all.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 09:52:56 AM »
With a 4 inch barrel and a 2 1/2 inch shell in it I have 1 1/2 inches of barrel before the pellets exit. The closest equivilent in a 22 LR would be a snub 22. I too would be curious about the penetration of the 22 in that case scenario.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 11:10:17 AM »
Not sure on the penetration, but 8 rounds of .38 up blose would be a heavy dose with both barrels. Neat little rig there. Let us know how well it will penetrate please.

36 cal. and not the weight of 38 cal. slugs . Yes I know 38 is .357 not 38 . But and a big but is the weight . Also a round ball vs. a pointed bullet .
And yep I had one and would not carry for self defense , why first its a bear to cock and shoot in a hurry . Its a gut wrench not a gun for even a short distance . Don't believe me try this - draw and fire at a 3X5 index card at 7 yards , do it in 1.5 seconds and you should be fine . IMHO .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 07:43:34 AM »
How about that 410 ammo advertised by winchester with the discs in it ? Any one tested any of that ? Maybe I'm wrong but I woudn't think the penetration of the discs would be better than the round ball unless they were a good bit heavier and I dont think they are. looks impressive on paper though.

Offline RB1235

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 12:15:36 PM »
 Haven't seen those disc shells but there are little fletchettes out in shotgun shells now to civilians. Never tried them but have seen the shells or fletchettes only for sale. They look like tiny arrows. Would imagine penetration would be good with them. http://alamoammo.com/cart/shotgun-ammunition/410-ammo/410-flechette-3-inch-5ct?zenid=f634c9af8b1c130feef1cef49f9488f5