Author Topic: Man severed arm with DIY mortar  (Read 867 times)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Man severed arm with DIY mortar
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:27:13 AM »
CNN News article. Have a Safe and HAPPY 4th of JULY as we run-up the flag and roll out our hardware. 8)

I hope this clears the censor :-\

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/04/new.york.fireworks.arm.loss/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo. :'(

Richard a.k.a. "Three Fingers Brown"
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Man severed arm with DIY mortar
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:33:54 AM »
Good article.  They included some SAFETY pointers:

Never have any portion of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Move back to a safe distance immediately after lighting.

Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not fully functioned.

Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.

Light one item at a time, and then move back quickly.

Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 03:10:29 AM »
Hey you; with a couple extra vitamins and a bowl of Wheaties you'll do just fine in getting the "lionspaw" out and into the field to leave some tracks (and a roar in the air) in Catskill grass (seriously, only if you feel up to it). I'll have to make do with something a little smaller. Have a good 4th, Rich! That goes for everyone!

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 03:12:26 AM »
Sounds like Mr. Murphy got there before Dr. Darwin.

Sounds like lots of FAIL in that scene that ought to make for a great YouTube video.  :P

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 03:13:16 AM »
Now he has to say, "Hold my beer and watch this"; because he can no longer double task. Twas ever thus!

r

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 03:22:18 AM »
That's brutal, Rich! I was originally going to say, "give the man a hand; how's that for some gallows humor?", but I restrained myself seeing as it's Sunday and I'm no Pagan. I guess I said it anyway; didn't I?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 05:10:50 AM »
Yup! I never suffer a fool in silence. ;) 

BTW "J", did youse get my E ??? 

My daughter drove up for her birthday (the 5th) so I'll have help dragging the Lion's Paw out for a noon gun today.  Maybe I can take a pit-chur.  ::)  It doesn't get any easier as we mature. Maybe that's why so many regress and use toy cannons. ;D

Sorry! (not really) I just thought I'd get that in. :D

I always run-up GW's first flag for this day; the one that was first presented to him by the Continental Congress. 8)  It never fails to baffle our local "Patriots", whom, true to form, flunked history. :(

Ahhhh but they all drink tea. >:(

Get out the cameras Guys!  Tim likes "Fire & Smoke".

r

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 05:14:53 AM »
The only thing missing is the sound of one hand clapping.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 05:39:34 AM »
I just got to thinking (bad move). ;D

My grandfather had is right arm amputated above his elbow because of blood poisoning after he stuck his finger with a wire. He still managed to continue to decorated our CHRISTmas tree every year with popcorn at the tips of all of the branches.

With his one hand, he held a piece of popcorn and a straight pin at the same time, while piercing the popcorn and impaling the flexing branch tip.......all in one move.  This was repeated hundreds of times.

Some of us cannot chew gum and walk at the same time.

So!........in conclusion, we all have to learn how to play the hand we have been delt. (no pun intended).

r

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 08:40:32 AM »
BTW "J", did youse get my E ??? 

Maybe that's why so many regress and use toy cannons. ;D
Sorry! (not really) I just thought I'd get that in. :D

RC,
I did get your E's, my puter was down for a few days (something about the router for the wireless, I ended up having to disconnect the whole smear), and now I've got to play catch-up.

Toy cannons, yes indeed. You know, I sometimes lose sight of the fact that you're almost on a par with professional comedians (like Henny Youngman). Besides, you're just getting even for the "Pagan" I tossed out there, but I think that if you check the scorecard you'll see that I've got a few more free shots on goal due me, since I've been letting you get away with murder in the department of verbal assaults on the one true faith.

BTW - That was a good pic of the LP firing on the other thread, at least I could enjoy that; I decided to be a decent neighbor and not upset the two middle aged old maid sisters lap dogs that live next door to us ("fireworks just terrorize our Coco and Lulu" - I'm not making this up either, it's pathetic).