Author Topic: Help with Scope Purchase, Burris Fullfield II  (Read 1079 times)

Offline jlgwiz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Help with Scope Purchase, Burris Fullfield II
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:36:12 AM »
I have just bought a Stevens 7mm-08.  It will be used for hunting ( equal or less than 200yd shots) and some paper punching (usually  100 yds).  I put my spare scope (Trophy 3x9-40) on it for now.  I was thinking about a new Redfield 3x9 for it but I saw a deal at a local sporting good store for a Burris Fullfield II with spotting scope for $149.  What would any of you do if you had this option?  Any insight would be appreciated.   jlgwiz

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
Re: Help with Scope Purchase, Burris Fullfield II
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
Buy the package,Burris are excellent products

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »
Your not getting much of a spotting scope for that price. The Burris and the Redfield are both good scopes, I have both and would give the edge on glass and ease of eye box to the Redfield IMO.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
Think I've seen the combo package at my local Sports Authority store. Assume the Burris scope in the combo deal is a 3x9, but thought combo was with a pair of binoculars for price you've mentioned.  Anyway, Burris is a good scope and the 3x9 power is good for hunting,  no doubt about that.

If you want a higher power scope that is certainly equal to quality and clarity of the Burris (if not better) in the combo, that has a life time warrenty and is made in the USA, then you may want to consider the Swift Premier model 669m, a 6-18X44 AO scope.  With it, you probably won't need a spotting scope for viewing targets on range.  Have bought 2 of these Swift scopes thru Amazon.com. in last 4 or so months.  Oddly they have two listings for the 669m Swift, one for $210 and other for $125 (+ about $13 shipping).  The $210 price is in the ballpark for what this scope normally sells for by other internet scope sellers.  It's a lot of scope for bargain price of $125 and Swift quality is too good, not to consider.

By the way, I bought a Stevens 200 7mm08 a couple of months ago.  You may want to improve its trigger pull, which should be very heavy, by doing something with the straight spring on side of the trigger.  Its much too stiff.  I replaced mine with a part of a spring I bought at my local Ace hardware store for about $3.  Chuckle, some gents have posted using spring type metal from spinner baits or safety pins on their triggers.  Your Stevens should be a very accurate rifle, mine is.   

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:43:05 PM »
Honestly, I think that this deal allows you to buy two inferior optics for the price of one.

I've owned one Burris scope in the past (3-12x50mm XTR) and it was a good scope for the money ($615 back then), glass was on par with the Mark 4 Leupolds, and the adjustments were reliable/repeatable.

$150 for two optics...if you think about it...you are probably getting two optics that are worth a whopping $150 together.  Not saying that you can't get decent, if not good service out of the scope and spotting scope, you just generally get what you pay for in the world of optics.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:49:46 AM »
the full fields never impressed me with there low light performance and to be honest ive had more problems with buris scopes then ive had with even tasco. For that price its probably worth it though. Just dont expect 500 dollar performance out of it. I had one of those spotting scopes they put in those packages. my buddy gave it to me after he tried it and i gave it to my nephew after I tried it.Side by side against my leupold there was not comparison. it was about as good as an old simmons i have sitting in the shooting shack at the range. Good enough for most work but if you used better you wont be happy.
blue lives matter

Offline jlgwiz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »
What I am looking for is a solid scope for hunting that would be a step or two above the Bushnell Trophy.  I was considering the Redfield 3-9x40 but if I can get a comparable scope plus a spotting scope for about the same price????  Spotting scope may not be that good but it beats what I have now,  nothing.  I am not expecting to get a $400 scope/spotter package for $149 but after looking around it appears as if this maybe a decent price for just the Fullfield II alone.  Maybe not the best but still good.   Heck maybe I am just trying to talk myself into getting it.    jlgwiz 

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
I got the exact combo and glad I did but not because of the spotting scope.  My fullfield 3x9 scope has the ballistic-plex reticle and is useful with my rangefider.  For the money its a fairly bright and a well made scope.  The spotting scope is another story.  Its almost(maybe totally) useless, don't buy the combo for the spotting scope, only buy it if you like the scope.  This is the only burris I've ever owned so maybe my opinion isn't that good but I'd buy another one based on my experience of this one.   Dave   

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 06:52:01 PM »
I forgot,  I think the 3x9 fullfield II is a step or two above my 3x9 bushnell trophy.  And $149 is a good price on the burris.   Dave

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 08:01:54 PM »
I have 2 Burris scopes, one from a trade w/a ranging reticle (you bracket the target between 2 lines by adjusting the power ring and the cross hair moves down to adjust point of aim. Just bracket, twist and shoot dead on. Good glass, satisfactory low light performance for a 40mm objective lense.  The other is a 2x8x32 pistol scope on 7mm08 Savage Styker bolt action pistol.  The eye relief is a little long for me, but if you have a proper shooting bench to stretch out on, it works well.  Has held 0 for 3 yrs. now. My spotting scope is a huge 70's era Tasco salvaged from my agency and is a POS, you'll be happier with the Burris than I am mine even if it is bad.  It is a 21st century upgrade from what I have. For $149 you can't go wrong.  Sell the spotter and take your wife to dinner, that may get you more guns!

Offline RB1235

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 11:12:25 PM »
I use the low end quality scopes mainly. I do have a fullfield II on a 5mm. The gun won't shoot accurate anymore, but no fault of the scope. The guy above claiming the light transmission is correct. Mine is about like a non elite bushnell.Very good, but there is better out there for $150 For better light transmission new I have a vortex optics. For what I've bought used for $150 on these boards is a new style nikon Buckmaster and bushnell elite 3200.. All three are clearer and brighter. I also have a mueller that is better than the burris but can't remember what I paid for it. Try swfa.com, sorry can't link up on phone, they have some pretty good sells from time to time. I think that is were my vortexs and mueller came from.

Offline hoghunting

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 10:31:24 AM »
 I bought that same package about 5 years ago - probably why the one you're looking at is marked down as the spotting scope was replaced with binoculars about 4 years ago. Mine is mounted on a 300 WSM and has fired more than 500 rounds, and the Burris has not been adjusted since the initial sighting-in. Since much of my hog hunting is done at night, this scope has been excellent with low light. I highly recommend the Fullfield II.

The spotting scope may not be the best on the market, but I don't have any problems finding bullet holes on a white paper target at 200 yds.

Offline smokey262

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 01:25:44 PM »
The spotter will be one step above nothing, but that's it.

The FF-II is a good $150 scope.  I have several, and used to have one on a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08, and like them all, for the price.  The Stevens now wears a VX-III 3.5-10x40

You really do not need a B-Plex reticle for hunting at a max distance of 200 yards.  Set your zero maybe 2.5" to 3" high at 100 yards and you would be good to go to 250 or so

Here is a killer deal on a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40, which is a notch or three above the FF-II in terms on quality

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Bushnell-Elite-4200-3-9x40mm-Rifle-Scope/3415038/product.html

$220 shipped

Offline jlgwiz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 02:16:41 PM »
 Thanks folks for the replys.  Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I have been out of pocket for a few days.  I went ahead and bought the Fullfield II today,  mounted it on the 7mm-08 and went out and shot it.  Tracking seems fairly accurate and I got it set after about 4 shots at 50 yds.   Now to see if it holds zero the next time I go out.  If so then I am ready to start finding a load for it.   I was a little worried about the ballistic plex being too "busy".  But it presented no problem and is there if I decide to try and learn to use it.  Spotting scope is a little 20x50mm Landmark.  Forgot to take it with me so no comment on it yet, not expecting much from it any way.  First impression is that the Fullfield II for $149 was not a bad deal,  if the spotter is useable at all then that is "gravy",  only time will tell.
   jlgwiz

Offline redmist

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »
I own 2 Burris. They are great for the bucks.  ::)
Aim right and it's red mist

Offline rugerfan.64

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 03:25:49 PM »
I hope I'm gettin my money's worth,I just bought one. Brother has one and says its a decent scope. Time will tell.