Author Topic: Town forces residents to carry firearms  (Read 858 times)

Offline jcsabolt2

• Trade Count: (0)
Town forces residents to carry firearms
« on: November 24, 2003, 07:02:20 AM »
A man with a gun is a citizen...a man without a gun is a subject.
Great Pro Gun Site...not what you might be thinking.  http://www.flashbunny.org/

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 02:45:53 PM »
What they don’t tell you is that the law in Kennesaw Ga. was passed, from what I understand, at a time when several home invasions were going on in most of the more affluent areas around Atlanta. People were being tied up robbed and sometimes beaten in their homes. Kennesaw passed their law before any of their residents became a victim and publicized the new law highly. Guess what? No victims from Kennesaw.
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 04:17:35 PM »
I would oppose any ordinance forcing residents to carry a firearm.
How can such a thing be enforced? Shall a person be jailed or fined for refusing to do so?
Forcing such a thing is indicative of a Police State.
Just because you have a right to own or carry a firearm shouldn't mean you must!
America is based largely  on freedom of choice, as well as responsibility.
I carried a sidearm for four years in the U.S. Air Force, as a security policeman (law enforcement). but any man or woman tells me I MUST carry a firearm and I'll tell them to go straight to the infernal regions!
Let's face facts. Some people who have the right to own a firearm probably shouldn't have one. But until they break the law nothing can or should be done to deny them this right.
But FORCE them to carry a firearm?
That's equally as bad as denying ownership to law-abiding, stable individuals. There's the stench of fascism in either action.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline KN

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 06:08:01 PM »
From what I read the law does not force you to carry a gun. It says you have to own one. I think the law is basically an uninforceble statement the town is trying to make. I doubt it would hold up to any lawsuit. Personally I like it, I think it says "we won't put up with a lot of crap"   KN

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 12:34:20 AM »
seems as though they put in enough loopholes to allow ya to disreguard the ordinance if ya wanted. that said-the thought was, as in the other town in ga. (yea, i didn't remember how to spell it) to reinforce the thinking it was a heavily armed town.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Must Own
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 04:58:44 AM »
Fellas:  As I recall the Kennesaw, GA issue, it was in response to one of those idjit places (Illinois or Indiana, or there-abouts) that banned guns or handguns within the city limits, just when their crime rate and home invasion statistics were going through the roof.  The Georgia decision was in response to that.  

Ek-chew-ally, I'm happy with it - now I know there is more than one place I can go to retire and not have to worry about owning or carrying somethin'.  Just my two cents here.  Mikey.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 12:53:01 AM »
I think it is a great idea. All the crackheads and people meaning to do use harm may think twice about home invasions. I personally carry a guns with me 24-7.  The people in my neighborhood all know I am an avid hunter and gun nut. I have not had any problems with theft or any other mischief. But some of my neighbors have had problems, so if you don't think people knowing of you have guns is a deterrent, I would have to disagree with you 110%. I think all American should have guns except the people prohibited. Then all those junk laws and antigun laws would be gone. Just my humble opinion.  :)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 01:44:31 AM »
redhawk-
what i'm wonderin-not argueing the point- is that for the word to get out it would have to be for the whole town. i'm wonderin if ya have not been fortunate in not being broken into.
deer park has the highest number of chl's in the state, at least the last time i read. it is a small town-obviously it is a suburb of houston- and i was burgularized during the day. police said it was one of two reasons. 1-it was a neighbor-my thought for a couple of reasons. 2- my house was on a corner. this makes sense if it was random.
i/we are pretty much at risk in this area from any kind of daytime burgulary. now we do not have much, if any, violent crime. this means killings or shootings-can't remember any. burglary is common and assault is common, but most of the police effort is drugs, traffic, domestic, and dwi/dui. the force is quiet large for a town of our size-guess the population to be bout 50,000.
never did find a trace of tha guns or property stolen-so what else is new.
hope ya have continued luck in not being touched by tha scoundrels.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline JRWHITETAIL

CARRY GUNS
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2003, 10:28:22 AM »
I am in favor of carry for protection. If all the people carry then the scum will think twice befor they try to rob you.
Praise GOD, and pass the ammo!

Offline RemingtonDave

Re: Must Own
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2003, 05:36:13 PM »
Quote from: Mikey
Fellas:  As I recall the Kennesaw, GA issue, it was in response to one of those idjit places (Illinois or Indiana, or there-abouts) that banned guns or handguns within the city limits, just when their crime rate and home invasion statistics were going through the roof.  The Georgia decision was in response to that.  

Idjit place #1 was Morton Grove, Illinois, the first city in the nation to ban handguns. It's a northern suburb of Chicago, and IIRC their crime rate went up.
Idjit place #2 was San Francisco. When Mayor Diane Swinestein banned handguns there, she got a letter from the mayor of Kennesaw asking for her to ship all the turned-in handguns to Kennesaw so they could be distributed to their citizens. She didn't think it was funny.

RemingtonDave
Proud NRA Life Member