Author Topic: Favorite 9mm powder?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Favorite 9mm powder?
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:57:11 AM »
I'd like your recommendations for the best over-all propellant for 9mm Luger.  I use 120-grain cast bullets, and 115-grain jacketed round noses.  Currently I am loading with Alliant American Select for both, but that's just because the local dealer had a good price on it some years back and I stocked up (I was still shooting trap in those days). 

Thanks!
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Favorite 9mm powder?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
I don't reload any 9mm but I do reload .380, .38 spl, .357 and .40 S&W and .44mag.  I am a big fan of Winchester 231 because I find it to be very flexible in reloading everything from low velocity cast bullets to reduced power jacketed loads in .357 and .44.  Furthermore, the charge weights are small and the powder goes a long way.  Winchester has some load data available on their web site.

Paul

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:48:04 PM »
db 22, How have you been? I use AA#2 simply because it is priced right and works well with 115 grain bullets. Not many load recipes for it but Hornady uses it for 9mm loading in thier data book. Take Care My Friend.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:31:01 PM »
I went with Unique because it was what my brother-in-law had & liked when I started.  It has worked well for me, so I've never looked for anything else.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 01:27:21 AM »
I aa2 mostly because i bought it surplus for cheap and still have about 50 lbs of it. Its a good clean burning powder for the 9mm as is 231/hp38
blue lives matter

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 02:37:23 AM »
I like 231. Just a simple adjustment on the powder measure on my Dillion between 9mm-.40-and .45. Haven.t used it for .380, just hope the measure on the press goes down that far. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 03:32:57 AM »
Power Pistol
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 05:36:31 AM »
So far I have tried two powders with the 9MM, PB and 700X both of them did a good job.  I have used the last of my PB with four boxes of load rounds ready to go. 

My problem is that I have a number of powders on hand that are listed for the 9MM.  This morning I will load 800X for the first time.  Hopefully I will get to an indoor range later in the week and try the 800X out for the first time.  If the pistol functions and is accurate with the 800X I do not have a complete answer.  I will be missing the velocity the round produces because I cannot set up my Chrony at the indoor range.

800X maybe a good one because it produces high velocity at a relatively low pressure.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline db22

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 01:52:58 PM »
It looks like there are a lot of opinions, and a lot of good choices.  231 and the AA powders are sphericals, right?  They sift through my Lee measures pretty badly.  I have a Lee turret press set up for semi-progressive loading, and it turns out pretty nice rounds with consistent charge weights.  I would prefer to stay with a flake powder, which keeps the bench a lot cleaner and wastes less powder.  700X, 800X and PB are flake types, IIRC, so I'll try them out if I can get a good price on a pound or two.  Has anyone else tried American Select?

Thanks to all for the information!
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline kctibs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 01:16:47 AM »
I like Titegroup for my 9mm and .40 S&W.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline bscman

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
Another vote for Win 231...works great for 200gr cast lead 45's, too.

Offline 1sourdough

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 11:51:22 PM »
 Tightgroup & win 231 here.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 06:00:26 AM »
700x and Unique.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 07:33:42 AM »
Just loaded 500 rounds with an old can of Hercules Unique my dad had for when he used to reload 20 gauge. Used a 124 grain Rainier Flat point. Very accurate load. I am still playing with Accurate number 7 but have not had much luck yet.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
Yesterday I made a trip to the range and shot a few different 9mm test loads using 124-grain bullets, cast, plated, and Remington MC.

The bullets were pushed by PB and 700X.  A number of charge weights were tried with each powder.  All loads function fine, I had used the Lee 4-die carbide set to load the rounds.  I am happy with the results and will continue to use all four dies.

Best accuracy was obtained with a listed maximum load of 700X and the 124-grain Remington MC bullet.  While the unknown brand plated bullet was in the okay category its performance was below the MC and cast lead bullets.  All copper plated bullets were loaded with PB.  The results might have been different with charge closer to maximum.

I believe I have a few more loads with the copper plated bullets and results, and price will factor into if I buy additional.  At this point they have not been fully tested.  For the couple dollars different in price between them and the Remington MC availability will be a factor.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline dovehunter

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 04:23:22 AM »
I use UNIQUE and SR-4756 with 125 gr. hard cast bullets in my 9mm.  Both seem to give fairly good accuracy.  I won't say that these are necessarily the best powders but I have them on hand because I use them both (particularly UNIQUE) for other stuff as well.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 05:46:28 AM »
Titegroup for most loads in shorter barrels (G-19).
HS-6 for longer barrels and/or heavier bullets.
Both meter well enough that you don't have to weigh each charge.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 07:53:14 AM »
Does anybody use Bullseye?  It works well in my .38/357, so I would think it would be OK in a 9mm.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 08:03:37 AM »
Bullseye is a powder that I will use down the road.  I have a can of it.  Looking at the data Bullseye produces 100 to 150 fps less then the powders I am currently using. The velocity loss is okay for shooting paper.  If I am shooting steel then I needed to get all I can safely get from the 9MM because it does not knock steel as good as the 45 or 357.

Gets to me when a good hit on steel with the 9 rings loud but does not knock it over.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »
What kinda steel you shooting? Back in my NRA Silhouette shooting days I don't recall ever ringing a target with my .32 H&R Mag in a 10" TC. If I hit the target it went down. I'd think the 9mm even if light by 100 fps or so of max should have more knock down punch on metal than it. Never lost a ram to it tho, well not one I hit that is.  ;D

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 02:32:33 PM »
We had about a dozen knock downs made out of ½ surplus steel plate.  They stood about 18-inches high 12-inches wide, with a 3-inch wide base which extended a couple inches out on each side.  We would shoot them at about 20-25 yards because of bounce back.  These targets were on the heavy side and when setting them up it was normally a one at a time project.  As far as I know they were not put together to conform to any ABC organization standards.  These were not reset types, and after a course of fire, the line would be made safe and the targets reset.  Without a doubt all steel targets are not equal. 

The lack of consistent knock down on these targets quickly lead me to abandon the 9MM for duty and carry the 45 most of the time.  We did have a couple head high ones that were on a large frame type base that could be adjusted.  I was having a big case of the regrets when we switched from the 357 revolver to autoloaders.  Switching to the 45 removed the doubts the 9MM generated.

A friend of mine had some lighter weight commercial steel targets (birds) that would knock over with 38 wadcutters.

The nine did okay on the mechanical type targets. 

Yesterday afternoon at the range they were a couple of positions shoot a spinning double paddle target with .22 rimfire at 50-yards.  Looked like fun, might buy one.

I never tried the +P or the +P+ ammunition that came after for the 9MM. 

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 11:54:37 AM »
Unique is working well for me in my 9mm.  It is also working well in my .45, my 10mm, and for reduced loads in my 30-30 and even the '06.  Most people report large charge-weight variations with it in rotary powder measures, but my Lee Auto-disk does pretty well (better average than what was reported by a few people on another board).  The new bottle of Unique that I have also burns much cleaner than an old can given me by a guy up the road.  Not pristine, but much cleaner.  Good luck!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 12:03:17 PM »
green or blue dot.
I had it on hand for my 10,12, and 20 ga loads and works well as a pistol powder.

Offline mlk3454

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »
Power Pistol seems to be the powder I keep coming back to for 9mm. Loads easy and shoots clean for me.
~Matt

Offline bronco73401

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »
Tried unique but it was dirty. So now im using autocomp with 124 grain hp's
NRA Member
USAF Desert Storm Veteran

Offline 3leggedturtle

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »
Dave ya gonna be at the range this weekend, I'll bring a T/C Carbine in 9mm and we can chrono them!!

Offline db22

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 07:42:46 AM »
Just started using Power Pistol for maximum service loads with 115-grain jacketed bullets, with good results in my Lee Auto-Disk setup. Many thanks to all who responded!
Carbineman, we're doing well and looking forward to a good autumn. Tired of this muggy heat and the blankety-blank mosquitoes! Hope you and yours are well and thriving!

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »
db22, Looks like you have your 9mm loading well in hand. Like you this heat and humidity can be saved for those who reside in Dixie. Our oldest son and daughter-in-law are expecting tripletts (all boys) And yuup I'm stocking up on Handis and Toppers for the grandyoungin's. This past year I sold my .223 Ultra barrel and added a 20" .223 superlight barrel. The older grandyoungins (girls) like to shoot it with the 1.75-5 scope on it. Kinda like a .22 rimfire on steroids. Best Regards to you and yours.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 04:41:25 PM »
AA.7 , 231/HP38, and Unique  In that order With both 115gr and 124gr Bullets.  AA.7 gave the best velocity and shoots the cleanest for me.  
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html