Author Topic: a bad ruger ring.  (Read 381 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
a bad ruger ring.
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:14:55 PM »
took out a 257 roberts i picked up a short while ago and mounted a 2x7 leupold that had previously been on a couple other rifles with no problems. Got to the range and with the scope adjusted all the way to the right with the adjustments topped out the poa was still 3 inches to the left of the bull at a 100 yards. I thought maybe the scope took a crap so i took the gun back home and grabbed a tasco world class out of the junk box and put it on and had the same trouble. First though was the dovetails were machined crooked but i check it out and they seemed to be right. then i pulled the tasco back off and a light bulb lit. I took the front ring off first and when i did the scoped popped and and torqued to the side. I went back to the junk box and found a differnt rear ring and it cured the problem total. In all the years ive had rugers and ive had many ive seen about every problem imaginable with one but never a ring drilled off center. I wonder if thats why it was sitting at the gunshop.
blue lives matter

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: a bad ruger ring.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 12:25:47 PM »
  There is a thread on Perfectunion on the dovetails in the receivers being off, thought that was going to be your issue.
Isn't it nice to have spares?
   I thought you would have caught that when you lapped the rings!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 02:17:25 AM »
got to admit ive never lapped rings on a rifle. Call me lazy i guess
blue lives matter

Offline sniper2u00

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »
I'm having the same problem with a ruger 6B ring. The gun shot ok with a med. set 4B-5B(77V old tang safety) on it. But when I switched to a 5B-6B for a new Burris scope that needed more Obj. clearance everything went bad. 9in. to the left @ 25yd.I have traced the problem to the back ring also. I called Ruger and I'm sending it back next week.