Author Topic: Effective range of 21"Contender in 357Max?  (Read 518 times)

Offline hans g./UpS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Effective range of 21"Contender in 357Max?
« on: November 24, 2003, 05:50:46 AM »
I'm wondering what the effective whitetail range is,using a [shoulder stocked]21"Contender in 357Maximum?
Thanks.

Offline BH

Effective range of 21"Contender in 357
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 12:41:19 PM »
hans,

Based on my experience in a 14" Lone Eagle pistol in 357 Max with the Hornady 180 gr SSP bullet (at about 1950 fps), the gun itself should be good to around 150 yards and maybe a little more with the right load.  You will get a little more velocity out of 21" but probably not a whole lot.  Beyond that range bullet performance and drop start to get problematic.  I would definately go with one of the rifle or single shot pistol bullets instead of the standard pistol bullets given the velocities involved. However I have no experience on game with the rifle bullets typically directed at the 35 Rem which can achieve more velocity than your Max will and reliable expantion may become an issue for you.  I can say that the Hornady SSP is good to around 150 yards but given the results I've had probably not much more at my velocities.

Bob
It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Offline Dragon31

• Avid Poster
357 max
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 01:45:00 PM »
hans g./UsP

I have used the .357 Max for several years in a 14 inch contender.  I've used several different powders and bullets.  The longest and shortest pistol shots that I have ever made were with the .357 max using the 180 grain Hornady SSP's.  The longest shot was at an eigth point buck that always crossed the field in the same place and I could not get any closer.  The distance was a shade under 165 yards from a sitting position on the ground and with home made cross sticks for support.  Buck took half dozen steps stumbled and went down, complete pass through chest cavity.  Shortest shot was the evening before Thanksgiving this year, same spot watching for another large buck with one rack broke off crossing the same place as year before lasts buck.  Sitting on the ground I heard some thing behind me and a doe walked by at about 10 feet.  Looked 20 feet behind her and a nine point buck had his nose on the ground facing me.  Could not find the shoulder in a 4X scope at 30 feet.  I move the cross hair up and back down and fired.  The bullet went in the shoulder and destroyed the shoulder joint, through the rib cage and was in tiny piece when I cleaned him.  He went down about 15 from me.  
I think the Max is a fine cartridge and from a 21 inch barrel you should get at least 2100 feet per second with the 180 SSP's.