Author Topic: Question for Greybeard  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Eagle Eye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Question for Greybeard
« on: December 10, 2003, 06:05:32 AM »
I have been reading your answers to various posts and like where you are coming from.   :D  

So, I have a question for you.  I have a Remington 700 Police in 308 that currently has a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40AO on top.   I use it exclusively for off the bench target shooting.  I plan to move that scope to a new 223 varmint rifle soon and am looking for input on a replacement for the 700P.  

I would like a fixed 10x or 3.5x10x40 with a fine crosshair and would prefer a scope with parallax adjustment and target style windage/elevation adjustments.  I really like the idea of mounting a Leupold Tactical M1 in 10x on this rig but the cost is prohibitive...they are nearly $2000 up here in Canada.  I would like to spend around $500 USD or so but I still want excellent optics and above all, the scope must track perfectly when adjusted.  I am open to your ideas.

Any suggestions for a new scope?

Offline Eagle Eye

• Avid Poster
Question for Greybeard
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 04:32:58 AM »
To all others reading this post (some 50 todate), if you have some good ideas on a replacement scope, I welcome your input.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Question for Greybeard
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 05:03:43 AM »
What about the Leupold Long Range 3.5-10x40 M1, Duplex.  It is around $685.00 in the states.  Sound like something that you maybe looking for, also long at it is in your budget.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Dave in WV

Question for Greybeard
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 05:14:20 AM »
Eagle Eye, I read an article on Nikon Tactical scopes in Shooting Times recently and the writer (David Fortier) gave it good reviews. The test scope's tracking was right on. One question, if you fellows up in Canada order from a vendor in the US do you still pay the taxes? I read over and over how expensive Leupold scopes are up there and I wonder why it is so. My Nikon experience is with my son's Monarch 3x9 which is impressive. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline SBF

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.members.cox.net/cruffler
Question for Greybeard
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 05:45:19 AM »
I have no experience with them but what about the Tasco Super Sniper Series of scopes.  Priced in the $300-$400 range if IIRC.  From what I've read they are pretty nice for the money.  Just another thought....
SmallBoreFreak and Cruffler

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
Question for Greybeard
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 06:27:55 AM »
I agree with Dave. The Nikon is an awesome scope and I would take the Nikon Tactical over the Leupold any day.  The only thing is that the Nikon  might be over the budget price that you are looking for.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline Eagle Eye

• Avid Poster
Question for Greybeard
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 06:28:10 AM »
Thanks for the inital replies.  

The reason that Leupold scopes (and any US made product) is so expensive up here is because of the exchange rate.  For a while last year, we paid a $1.65 for each US dollar and that made imports very expensive.  On top of that, I understand there is a 7% duty  (notwithstanding the so-called Free Trade agreement).   :-D   The dollar has rebounded now due to a healthy Canadian economy and the exchange rate is currently about $1.35 and the difference is dropping almost daily.  However, thanks to the fact that they hold existing stock paid for at high rates, they are rather slow to drop the prices (I hope those folks at Wholesale Sports in Calgary are reading this....Am I the only one that notices prices are very quick to rise but slow to fall?)  Perhaps if I wait until spring, the prices will bne more in line.   :wink:

That M1 Long Range in 3-10 (which would be a perfect fit for my needs) is $1250 at a discount retailer here as opposed to the $685 being quoted by Jon from Optics Zone.  The Canadian price should be around $925 at todays exchange.  Yes, we are being taken advantage of by  retailers that have a smaller market and a shrinking one (shooters and hunters are a dying breed up here thanks to gun control and school teachers that preach to our children that hunting is cruel and terrible....I know first hand about that, my neice is one of those teachers.  On top of that, everytime someone is murdered with a knife (which are far more common than firearm murders here), the TV news show a picture of a gun.    When do you suppose the leftists will start asking for registration of knives?  

Nikon scopes are not very common up here.  In fact, it has been years since I have seen one at a gun shop.  The big sellers are Leupold and Bushnell with a few German brands and the odd Tasco through in for a bit of choice.

Again thanks for your input and please excuse my venting.... :oops:

Offline Dave in WV

Question for Greybeard
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 07:12:42 AM »
No problem Eagle Eye. Hey, I asked! It's a shame things have gone so far against hunting and shooting in both or our countries.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Question for Greybeard
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 12:44:07 PM »
Sorry to be so slow in responding. Been kinda tied up lately and hadn't checked in here in a couple of days.

As a general rule I don't recommend scopes other than Bushnell and Leupold. These are the brands I've used most and which have satisfied me the most. Most others have greatly disappointed me enough I don't recommend them or haven't been tried so I have no basis for recommendation.

Sadly neither really make what you are looking for or not in a scope in the price range you are hoping for. The Vari-X III 3.5-10 is a nice scope but in my opinion any scope at the 10X power level must have an adjustable objective. The Leupold doesn't. Sadly neither does the Bushnell Elite 4200 which I think is a mistake on the part of both companies. Still both are nice scopes but at 10X really need the AO feature.

Bushnell has the Elite 3200 4-12AO which I can highly recommend but it isn't at the power range you're looking for. IT is close and is an excellent choice for your uses. It really is the scope I'd suggest you buy. I don't think you'll regret such a decision.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
Question for Greybeard
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 04:03:39 PM »
The Leupold Long Range 3.5-10x40 has side parallex adjustment!
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Question for Greybeard
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003, 05:20:22 PM »
But is that one in his price range Jon?

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
Question for Greybeard
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2003, 12:49:37 AM »
Well, not really.  I guess we were both talking about a different scope.  :lol:
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline Eagle Eye

• Avid Poster
Question for Greybeard
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2003, 11:43:37 AM »
Has anyone got expereince with the Weaver Grand Slam scope line?  I have read good things about them and they certainly are bright and clear.  How are they holding up in actual use?

Offline kc5rkg

Weaver Grandslam
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2003, 10:27:45 AM »
I have a Weaver Grandslam 3-10x40 that I really like.  For the price I think it is a great scope and would reccommend it.

scott

Offline akpls

• Contributor
Question for Greybeard
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2003, 10:56:15 AM »
I have a 1.5-5 Grand Slam on my Marlin 1895M.  It's been drenched, frozen and just all-around used hard for 3 Alaska moose seasons without a single problem.  I also shoot on the range almost weekly (except when colder than about -20F) and it continues to take the recoil without a problem.  I can highly recommend the GS.