Author Topic: Any Advice?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Any Advice?
« on: June 24, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »
I'm seriously giving thought to buying a heavier caliber pistol for both home protection and concealed carry. The models I'm considering are;

Taurus 24/7 Pro

Taurus Millenium Pro

The new Kel Tec PF9

Ruger SR9 Compact

There may be a few others as I keep looking but what's everyones opinions on these so far? Being a disabled vet, on a pension, price is very much a factor. I'm looking at either 9mm or a .40 and not too large a frame. I want something to partner with my Kel Tec P32 and my over under 9mm derringer.

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Any Advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:37:28 AM »
Just my opinion, I would go for what feels right to you, I am a Ruger fan so I lean that way, But two of my brothers have the Millenium in 45 and like them, I have a friend that has the Kel-Tec PF- 9MM, and he likes it, Most mid-range price handguns today have pretty good warrantees, I think the Taurus would be the only one you listed you can get in 40 S&W now, I read Ruger was going to come out with a 40 version of the SR, but I don’t think they have yet.

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »
I am normally not a real fan of Taurus but the 24/7 is
an excellent handgun. Way above any of Ruger's or Kel-tek's Semi-autos.
Make sure to buy plenty of mags.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 10:11:50 AM »
I don’t think I would say the Taurus is way above the Ruger, I don’t own an SR, and yes they had a recall when it first came out, But I do own a Ruger P-85 P-89 p-94 and a P-90, I have shot a ton of cast Bullets and jacketed out of them and have had no more problems with them than I have from my Glock 22 or Sig, 220.Ruger has been around for a long time for a reason.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 02:58:28 PM »
If I was in the market for a 9mm I'd go with the SR-9 simply because it feels good in my hand and I liked the way it shot.  But that's me.  The best advice I can offer is to try to find a range that offers rentals in the models you're interested in.  You'll spent time & money doing it but you'll save both in the long run, I believe.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »
Quote from: GH1
The best advice I can offer is to try to find a range that offers rentals in the models you're interested in. You'll spent time & money doing it but you'll save both in the long run, I believe.
Spirithawk,
Thank you, for your service to our country, Sir! ;D

I agree with GH1, on the rental and range time. I've done it and it was money well spent. 8)

I have a hunting buddy that owns a Millinium Pro in 45acp and he says that the recoil is very manageable and it has good accuracy. I own a Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm that is extremely accurate, but it's a service model and can not be concealed in warmer months. Unfortunately, the M&P compact models aren't much smaller than their service models or I'd own one of them too.

Myself...I'm going to carry a .357 Mag. snubby. A Taurus or Rossi, which ever I find the best price on first. No feed jams, good reliability, knock-down power, easy to conceal and affordable. :)

Good luck with your choices!
Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 04:10:45 AM »
Thanks guys and BH57 thanks for caring.  :) I'm not ruling out a revolver. I'm looking at the new .327 but have to admit I'm a fan of a .357. I just seem to shoot a .357 well. Problem with the .327 is I'm afraid it would be hard to find ammo. Found out my son-in-law has a Millenium Pro. Like the looks of it but to be honest the grip fit my hand like a brick. I don't have big hands but they aren't small either. It just didn't feel good and felt very boxy. Was a bit disapointed in that. Next gun show I'll handle as many models as possible. I'm a firm believer, whether rifle, shotgun, or handgun, it should feel right when held. If not, you aren't going to shoot well with it no matter how good a weapon it is.

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 05:09:35 AM »
If you are thinking more power but still smaller for summer carry then the kel tec PF9 is a good choice and is the same cal as the derringer you already have. Dont forget about the J frames. More power than that 32 ACP and very concealable. If you are a reloader I would not worry about ammo availablity to much. Just buy enough components now. If you are not a reloader you are still stuck with what ever is on the shelf AND with what we have all seen over the last couple years when things get scarce it does not make much difference what cal you have cause it all seems to dry up pretty much over night. If you dont have it now you aren't going to get it then so to speak. In fact if you have the bucks it might be an advantage to buy some really odd ball cal cause that was the only thing left on the shelves at any store ;D Just something to think about.

Offline Frank V

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »
Spirithawk, I'd like to thank you for serving our country too!
I think the Ruger would be a good gun, pick one you like. If you like a gun you will shoot it better than one that's just a gun to you.
Get one that feels good in your hand & is comfortable for you. I'd suggest when you handle a prospective gun, make double sure it's unloaded, then point it at a few things to see if it points well for you. Some will & some won't. I've handled guns that didn't point well for me, I'd pass on one of those. Just be sure you try this test in a safe manner.
Frank
" U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »
Thanks guys and BH57 thanks for caring.  :) I'm not ruling out a revolver. I'm looking at the new .327 but have to admit I'm a fan of a .357. I just seem to shoot a .357 well. Problem with the .327 is I'm afraid it would be hard to find ammo. Found out my son-in-law has a Millenium Pro. Like the looks of it but to be honest the grip fit my hand like a brick. I don't have big hands but they aren't small either. It just didn't feel good and felt very boxy. Was a bit disapointed in that. Next gun show I'll handle as many models as possible. I'm a firm believer, whether rifle, shotgun, or handgun, it should feel right when held. If not, you aren't going to shoot well with it no matter how good a weapon it is.
Me Too.
What I do is get a good two hand grip at the low ready.
Pick something on the wall in the gun shop at about eye level.
Close your eyes, Yes I said close your eyes.
With your eyes closed raise the gun to the target.
When you think you are on target open your eyes.
You should be looking down the sights.
Some guns you will see the whol top of the slide,
Some guns you will see both sights and the target,
and Some guns you will only see a rear sight.
This is the natural position of your hands on the gun and you should not have to adjust the gun to be looking down the sights.

As for a pick.  Any of the guns you named are fine,
I would also look in the used shelfs.
The 9mm and the 40's share the same frame.  So either are going to te the same size.  Compact to compact, and full size to full size.
Since you already have a 9mm.  I would get a 9mm.
I own both calibers.
I would also look at the Sig pro series P2009 or P2340 A polymer version of the P228/229 for the most part.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 03:00:46 AM »
I'd include a SW 3913 or 14 if you can find one,  It's a chopped 39.  Dee who posts here has also posted some sage advice about a J frame 357.  Makes alot of sense. 
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline popplecop

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 09:00:41 AM »
My 9mm is a Para Carry 9 as I like my handguns on a 1911 frame, even though this is a DA handgun.  It is solid, carrys well and is very accurate.  Has been an excellent handgun for me.
Life Member: VFW, NRA & Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
I realy apreciate the advice guys. I don't just read and forget it I take it to heart, and Frank, thank you for caring too.

Offline lkwall45

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
I have 2 Millenium Pros, a 9mm & a 45acp.  The 45 grip frame of the 45 is significantly fatter than the 9mm.  You said the Mill Pro you handled felt like a brick & very boxy.  That sounds like the 45.  If so, try the 9mm or 40 they're both on the smaller grip frame.  I usually carry the 45 & when I pick up the 9 it feels down right small in my hand.

Thanks for your service!

Lloyd

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »
Spirithawk,
You seem to like semi-autos... Have you put a 1911 in your hand, yet? If so, how did it feel?

There are a couple of good 1911s available in compact models and at reasonable prices. The Rock Island Tactical CS for $439 and the Howa Citadel for $499. There's a business not too far from you in Versailles, Ky. that has the R.I. Tactical CS. www.centerfiresystems.com/

1911 compact models are easy to hide, have a lot of stopping power and fit most people's hands.
Just a thought. ;)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline zeke08

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »
1st off Thank you sir for your service and sacrifice to this great country we call home. I am a fan of Glocks they conceal very well and the 9mm seem to fit smaller hands well. I carry a 10mm in the sub compact off duty great stopping power and hides very well either on my ankle or side. You  can find a used Glock for 350-375 and as long as they haven't been shot up hill...................lol they make excellent buys. I own numerous Glocks and other handguns for reliability and conceal ability I pick the Glock. I agree 100% about going to the range and renting numerous weapons until you find the right fit. I also agree partly with the if you reload don't worry about finding ammo but if things really turn south I want a round that I can "scrounge" fairly easily if need be. Hope this helps and best of luck.
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline S.S.

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 05:11:35 PM »
Really research the 24/7 and find what all went into the creation of it.
It is an extremely well thought out design. Reliable , Accurate.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 03:20:52 PM »
I'm seriously giving thought to buying a heavier caliber pistol for both home protection and concealed carry. The models I'm considering are;

Taurus 24/7 Pro

Taurus Millenium Pro

The new Kel Tec PF9

Ruger SR9 Compact

There may be a few others as I keep looking but what's everyones opinions on these so far? Being a disabled vet, on a pension, price is very much a factor. I'm looking at either 9mm or a .40 and not too large a frame. I want something to partner with my Kel Tec P32 and my over under 9mm derringer.

OK, I'll bite. 

You have a KelTec P32 in .32 Auto and a O/U 9mm derringer, and are wanting "...a heavier caliber pistol for both home protection and concealed carry..."

I assume you are really saying that you feel that your P32 feels too underpowered and your derringer has too few rounds of 9mm.  There are derringers in larger calibers, but if number of rounds of ammo is an issue that adds a whole new dimension to things.  It appears that you want at least 7 or so rounds of 9mm or better in a single handgun.  You also indicate that cost is very important to you.  All of the choices you are considering are semi-auto's, with the exception of a .327 Mag revolver you have looked at.

I would suggest that you ask yourself a couple of questions and focus on how much and how you want to concealed carry the new handgun.  If you want to pocket carry or deep concealment, then the only firearms you have identified would be the PF-9 and a snubnosed .327 Mag.  If you would carry IWB, then you can handle a larger firearm which would include any you have identified.  From what I know finding .327 Mag ammo is a problem, so that points toward the KelTec PF-9, if you want deep concealment.

On the other hand, if you would do an IWB concealed carry, then you should probably ask yourself if you want a "range gun" that can also be concealable or you really want a concealed carry self defense only handgun, as they can be different.  For a range gun and doing target practice, I want good sights, longer barrel, single action trigger or at least SA/DA action, and a smooth short trigger pull of moderate pounds.  This is absolutely not a KelTec PF-9 in DA only with a short sight radius and relatively huge trigger pull.  Good sights often snag on holsters and clothes while drawing the weapon as do hammers, so that should influence your decision.

To me the key to answering your question on which firearm is how concealable do you want the handgun and how would you carry it when your are using if for concealed carry.  Then ask how many range gun features you want.

Home protection is a whole other kettle of fish and quickly boils down to "how serious a home protection weapon do you want?"  Questions regarding handgun night sights, caliber over penetration through walls, and wouldn't you really be better off with a cheap used 12 gauge pump action shotgun quickly come to mind.

Good luck.  I think you really probably know pretty much what you want, but haven't asked yourself the right questions yet.