Author Topic: Renegade and Musket Cap  (Read 1190 times)

Offline woodswatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
Renegade and Musket Cap
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:50:45 AM »
I have a .50 Renegade that I shoot yearly. I recently decided to change its #11 nipple out for a Musket Cap Nipple.

on several occassions, the musket cap does not detonate on impact from the hammer. I reset hamemr each time and the cap will fire upon the second impact. I have tried 2 different containers of musket caps.

If the hammer incompatible with using a musket cap? I'm an experienced BP shooter and this baffles me.

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Renegade and Musket Cap
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:54:03 AM »
I have the same rifle and use RWS caps and in over 20+ years have not had a FTF. Remington caps or CCI on the other hand have had few issues but a couple.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:59:20 AM »
Your not really gaining anything with the musket caps,,
Put the #11 nip back on and don't look back.
found elsewhere

Offline woodswatcher

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »
Your not really gaining anything with the musket caps,,
Put the #11 nip back on and don't look back.

I have been wondering if the Musket Nipple had the effects that one would expect. I haven't really found alot of info on the matter. I was able to round up some CCI musket caps this afternoon and they do work without any problems.

I would not have any hesitations in putting the #11 back if the margins of increasing ignition are minimal.
thanks for any imput you might have.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »
Here is a quote from a Moderator on another forum,,he's very knowledgable and trusted,,and a better explainer than I am;

There are several disadvantages in going to a Musket Nipple.

First off, there is a good possibility that the indentation in the nose of the hammer may not fit down over a Musket cap. Any misalignment between the hammer and nipple can cause a problem.

Second: Musket nipples are much more expensive and are more difficult to find.

Third: The hole thru the Musket nipple is considerably larger than the hole thru a #11 nipple. This will allow a much greater amount of gas to escape thru the nipple resulting in the hammer being blown back. Muskets, with their heavier lock parts and springs are designed to accommodate this however your rifle lock is not.

The increase in gas loss will produce greater variations in the muzzle velocity which will affect the accuracy of your gun.

Stick with a good #11 nipple that is designed to be used with your gun.
found elsewhere

Offline woodswatcher

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »
Thank you so much. that is some of the critical info that I was looking for.
1- yes, I do think the inner shape of the hammer was failing to strike the original musket caps correctly.

2- I did not think that the escaping gases.

I had already replaced the musket cap nipple with a T/C red hot. I just was curious about what others thought.

much appreciated.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 05:07:44 AM »
The musket cap was once touted as a solution for those who experienced misfires with #11 caps but I doubt it solved any problems. A properly designed, properly built, properly maintained and properly loaded rifle will be 100% reliable with good number 11 caps. Minus any of those "properlys" and there will be problems with any cap.   ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 08:51:54 AM »
Which leads one to wonder why folks ever changed from throwing sparks with a rock?   ;D

-Winter Hawk-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 08:59:32 AM »
maybe the green people made it not pc to pick up rocks anymore  :D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 07:33:53 PM »
you don,t gain much with musket caps over no11. if you'll look most military rifles use musket caps because they were /are easy to get hold of out of a cap pouch and you can handle them better in cold weather.