Author Topic: F Class shooters  (Read 998 times)

Offline Bamacountryboy

• Trade Count: (0)
F Class shooters
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
Recently tried FClass shooting and was wondering if anyone has tried it with a handi .Thought of building one in 223 or 308.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: F Class shooters
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:32:34 PM »
Welcome to GBO!

It seems that years ago I saw some of these rifles customized with stubbed barrels specifically for shooting in competitive matches like F-Class. There's always some exceptional rifles that come from the factory, but I would think this would be mostly a custom venture. Having said that, I would look at one of the many other chambering options that can be used for a stub project. Maybe a .260 Rem or 6.5x284?? But then again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the two calibers you listed...

The one pictured is in .219 Donaldson Wasp.

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 05:15:26 PM »
Here's a silly question...

What is F class shooting?

Spanky

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
Here's a silly question...
What is F class shooting?
Spanky

Here's a silly answer....Let me Google that for you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+f-class+shooting%3F

Sorry Spanky, I couldn't resist.  ;D ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:37:06 PM »
While it wouldn't be impossible, No, I'd say a feller could do probably do OK in the 600-1000 with a well tuned handi, and a good scope.
, I think the nature of having to open the barrel/breech and changing position each time alone would kinda take a guy out of the running. Esp when up against the tight tolerance chambers an bolt's previlant in that kind of compition.
I'm still working up some SMK's in the 308, and they show alot of promise at 100 an 200, but I think the frame flex and it being a hunters gun to begin with is gonna keep me inside 400. Course I don't have a 20-30X scope either, :P
found elsewhere

Offline Bamacountryboy

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
The match I shoot at over the weekend was just 300 yards . I was interested in the handi b/c of the price point.I am not to worried on the time aspect as I shot most of my 20 round sets in under 5 minutes with a savage single shoot bolt gun .Just wondering if any one has tried F class on the fourm

Offline v8r

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 05:36:55 AM »
If I was a good enough shot, I would do it. It would be satisfying to take a rifle that a lot of people think is inferior and smoke them. It would be even more satifying that they would probably be shooting custom built bolt guns costing many thousands of dollars. Nothing wrong with bolt guns mind you, it's just funny how some people think that since they have top of the line equipment that less skill is involved.

I was once at the shooting range shooting my Ultra Varmit .223 and two guys were sitting next to me shooting ARs. We were all shooting at 100. The other guys took turns spotting for each other when one noticed that I had stacked 20 rounds in 1.5 inches. The guy that was spotting said that rifle shoots pretty good! I said yes it does. They were shooting 5 to 6 inch groups with the ARs. I told them their rifles are probably just as accurate, and they probably could achieve similar results by just simply concentrating on the shot instead of spraying lead down range.
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:33:18 AM »
I find this very interesting, but I do take exception with his statements at the end.  Where he says taking shots over 600 yards is irresponsible.  With the right equipment, and the right practice, one can make those shots responsibly.   I hit a gallon milk jug every shot currently out to 1200 yards, with my Long Range gun.  I have taken Moose at 787 yards, one shot kill.  Grizzly at 620 yards, first shot was a complete pass through on both lungs.  Caribou at over 700 yards, (Did not have a range finder back then), made my best guess and took the shot.  (Caribou had already been gut shot by another hunter, and was getting away.  I dropped it.)  A 700 or 800 yard shot at a Wolf or Coyote is not all that uncommon either.

I use a Weatherby, Accumark in .338/378.  I have it topped by a Night Force, 3.5X15X50, with custom rings and base.  Weatherby Brass (Made by norma), Nosler 225gr Accubond, moving at 3210fps.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »
In this post there was some 1000 yard steel ringing, so I think with the right tweaking and good scope/sights, it should work fine.  8)

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,119506.msg1098396326.html#msg1098396326
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »
  Where he says taking shots over 600 yards is irresponsible.

Who said that?
found elsewhere

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »
I bet Rog was referring to this article. If you read just above and below the 4th picture down, it talks about hunters taking 600yd shots on game. I think we must remember one important note here, Rog is not just an average hunter....

"Before I wrap up this article, I would like to make a statement for the record. A hunter that takes or brags about 600 yard shots is either foolhardy or just plain dumb. 600 yards is a far piece, and even with a 20x pair of binoculars, the 24” target looks tiny (that is a white RV van to the right of the targets). Now, imagine a deer or antelope at that distance (a10" target area, maximum). Even for an expert marksman using an F-Class target rifle, such a shot would be questionable. For the average hunter with a hunting rifle it would be irresponsible."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/f-class_shooting.htm

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 02:59:24 PM »
Thank you,
I won't risk opinion on long distance shooting at big game.

All I can say is it takes alot of practice, in alot of different conditions. And more than a good bit of proper judgement concerning your own abilities.
I know what my 308 will do on a calm day at 300, the furthest I've shot it.
found elsewhere

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 07:24:47 AM »
Dinny:  you are correct, that is the part I was talking about in the article. 

necchi:  If I only took shots 300 yards and less I would never get to shoot much.  Seldom do I get a shot under 300 yards most are around 400 to 600 yards.  Wind is my enemy, it's the only variable I can not control.

Depending on what I an shooting at as to which cartridge I select.  Out to 600 yards I use my 30-06s.  Beyond that I use the .338/378 Weatherby.

One other problem I have with scopes above 15 power.  When your heart beats, the crosshairs will leave the target.  In my case move right about ten feet, then back left five feet, then come back to center, on a target 600 yards away.  Anything over 15 power and it is just too pronounced.  Target shooters like those 30 and 40 power scopes, but I have yet to meet a hunter that uses anything bigger than 15 or 16 power. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »
My hat's off to ya Sourdough, I've no reason to doubt your capabilities and experiance.

I wish I had a place to get regular practice at further distances, If I did, I'd feel much more comfortable with that long range stuff.
Not sayin there's not a chance for far shot's here in MN, Power lines an crop fields an such, but I'll stick within my practiced range for now.  :)
found elsewhere

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »
I do not think this type of rifle would be well suited to F-Class, gotta change positions to load, it's hard to load while prone, generally not as accurate, barrel twists aren't suited for heavy match type bullets, etc.  Would it work?  Maybe.  Would it work well?  Maybe.  Would it work as good as almost anything else? Probably not.

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
I guess that the first questions I'd have to ask a fella contemplating a Handi for F Class, is first, do you want to be competitive, and second, are you comfortable paying the match fees on a regular basis to line the pockets of the guy that is going to win the match?
I know there's a mindset in some guys, that says "I'm gonna show these guys that I can keep up with 'em if I had to shoot my Daisy Red Rider", and a good self-opinion is good, but unless you just want to poke some long range shots towards the butts, the Handi just isn't the best platform for this sport.
I attended (within the last month) a 1.000 yard F, F/TG match, and several of the fellas shooting mentioned that they got their starts with heavy barreled 700 Remington .308's, and Bushmaster heavy barrel/fast twist 5.56 rifles.  They admitted they spent more on the glass than they did on their rifles.  Now, they were shooting AT LEAST, a Tubb bolt gun, or one of the high dollar single shot bolt actions in aluminum stocks with Krieger barrels showing the highest number present.  I was asking, because MY 1K experience was with an M14, an iron sighted M1903A3, and a 1903A4 Sniper rifle with a 10X Lyman Target scope.  The F Class was a fledgling game back then, mostly for us handicapped types who still wanted to shoot long range, but couldn't keep up with the younger guys who could still use irons and a sling.  Nowadays, the F class guys have a 30 pound rifle weight limit, use bipods up front and rear bags, with triggers that go off by themselves in a stiff breeze.  They also spent more on their rifles than I did on my F-250! 
If a guy wants to spend a lot of money to build a rifle and have fun with it, I'll be the last guy in line to say you shouldn't do it, but it's also a LOT more fun to have gear that will at least give you a sportin' chance at having your name a bit higher on the score sheets.
Good luck, and I hope (sincerely!) that it works out well for You!  Please, let us know how it pans out!
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline