Author Topic: 357 Sig  (Read 312 times)

Offline Wolf13

• Trade Count: (9)
357 Sig
« on: July 10, 2010, 01:57:35 PM »
What bullets do you use to reload the 357 Sig with. I reload for my 41 Mag, 357 Mag, and did reload for my Glock 19, 9mm but I got rid of it and got a G 32. everthing I read says only certain 9mm bullets will work because of the short neck, so before I start buying, I would like a list of bullets that you have tried and work good. Thanks for any help.

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 357 Sig
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »
115 and 125 grain Hornady XTPs work really well.  Speer makes (or used to, anyway, not 100% sure if they still do) a Gold Dot hollow point designed specifically for the .357 Sig.  Anything similar in shape and weight should also work fine, so look at truncated cone type FMJs if you don't want to do HPs.

Offline Wolf13

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »
I did not say what I wanted them for. ::) I am looking for a bullet I can buy in bulk that I can use at the range and one to load up for self defence. Thanks again

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 04:09:26 PM »
According to my Hornady manual, Vol 1 fifth edition, the .380, 9mm luger, and .357 Sig all use the same bulets. My Lyman also showed these three sharing a few of the same bullets, but according to Lyman none of their molds will make a cast bullet suitable for the Sig. However, Meister has a cast bulet listed for the Sig, so maybe you can try 100 of those for range use. 
It seems to me like any .380 bullet would work, unless it has something to do with the lube groove interfering with crimp and correct OAL. I have some 100 gr truncated cone bullets for my .380 that look like they might work, but this is pure speculation on my part.
There just doesn't seem to be a whole bunch of data or components available for the SIG.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 06:53:17 PM »
According to my Hornady manual, Vol 1 fifth edition, the .380, 9mm luger, and .357 Sig all use the same bulets. My Lyman also showed these three sharing a few of the same bullets, but according to Lyman none of their molds will make a cast bullet suitable for the Sig. However, Meister has a cast bulet listed for the Sig, so maybe you can try 100 of those for range use. 
It seems to me like any .380 bullet would work, unless it has something to do with the lube groove interfering with crimp and correct OAL. I have some 100 gr truncated cone bullets for my .380 that look like they might work, but this is pure speculation on my part.
There just doesn't seem to be a whole bunch of data or components available for the SIG.
GH1 :)

They use the same diameter of bullet, yes.  And some of the bullets out there will work in all three, but not all.  If you try to seat a traditional 9mm 115 or 125 grain FMJ-RN into a .357 Sig case, you will notice a problem.  If you seat the bullet deep enough to function in the gun, the mouth of the case will not be in contact with the bullet.  If you seat the bullet shallow enough to correct this, it will be too long to function.

Bullet shape is very important with .357 Sig.  The XTP from Hornady, and bullets shaped like the XTP (think truncated cone) are good choices.

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 06:28:36 PM »
A good bulk bullet is the Remington 115 gr HP. I'm using these in a Sig 2340 with the 357 Sig barrel. I found a max load of Unique with OAL at max- 1.140 gives me groups under 2" at 25 yds. Not bad for a fixed sight pistol. The Unique load is right at 100% density. I'm also using the Lee Factory Crimp Die and if you don't have one, you need one to load this cartridge or expect bullet set back.