Author Topic: deer cart  (Read 1204 times)

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
deer cart
« on: November 22, 2003, 10:37:28 AM »
Anyone know where I can get a set of plans to build a deer retrieval cart to get deer out of the timber without having to drag them? My buddy shot a nice doe this weekend and it took us the better part of an hour and a half to drag that thing to the truck. I'm getting too old for this stuff but don't want to quit hunting. Several in this area had and were using these things, they look like just the ticket for this tiring job.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
deer cart
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 10:45:24 AM »
Why? You can buy them ready made for about $99 these days. I bought mine from Cabela's as I recall many years ago. It is called a Mule as best as I remember. I think it was made by Warren & Sweat but don't bet the farm on that. I think I paid about $199 but now see the same cart I have listed at $99.

Unless you have tubing benders and all the right tools no way you'll build one even close to as strong or light as these and even if you can you'll spend half as much for the parts.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
deer cart
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 10:53:32 AM »
G.B., talked to a fellow hunter this weekend who had owned one of these carts. A wheel fell off and he returned it for a refund. Could of been a fluke but, he was very unhappy with it.  I can weld and thought, maybe I could come up with the materials to put a heavy duty one together. Thanks for the reply. If you get a chance and have a minute, would appreciate if you could give me some diminsions off of yours.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Fred McIntire

• Trade Count: (31)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.FredMcIntire.Com
deer cart
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 04:05:50 AM »
If I remember correctly, my local Wal-Mart had these carts at the beginning of the season.

I agree with Graybeard. Too much time and effort plus the cost of materials. Buy one. Save yourself the headache!

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
deer cart
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 05:57:06 AM »
:D My buddy bought one a couple years ago from Cabela's. He's hauled elk and many deer with it. Saturday we hauled an eight pointer, a six pointer and a small doe across the field. They were kind of heavy for one person. Had to make two trips hauling them across a swamp. He seems pleased with his cart. Last year we hauled four does after a short muzzleloader hunt about 3/4 of a mile and it took a lot of abuse. Be sure it has hard rubber wheels so you don't get a flat.

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
deer cart
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 09:38:07 AM »
Me and another fellow used mine to haul a load of lumber way back in the mountains to build a treestand. Had to be 300+ pounds on that cart that day if there was an ounce. They are plenty tough. I think mine's rated at 500 pounds and for sure I'd not be concerned about it holding up to that.

GB

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
deer cart
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 03:53:39 PM »
If you are not concerned about compactness and light weight, a heavy-duty hand truck (dolly) with 8" wheels will do a very good job also. I have used one for several years when conditions are too wet for vehicles. I just strap my buck on tightly with strong cord, head end up, and it trucks out nicely. They are a little cheaper and do double duty at home also. 8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.